Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: DIY RCA cable components

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    Source side - as in center pin?
    Or do you mean ground side?
    I'm surprised if you mean signal, just because with traditional coax cable, ground side travels through the shield.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Source as in whatever is upstream...radio, DSP, etc. On the source end, you hook the red to the center pin, and the black and shield to the outer terminal. On the downstream side, you put red to center, black to outer terminal, and leave the shield unconnected. This is why some RCA's you buy are directional

2. Back To Top    #12

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	700C3D55-D96E-43C0-929C-C679F6458CC8.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	532.2 KB 
ID:	15872
    I use Canare Star Quad mic cable, with Neutrik or Canare connectors

https://www.performanceaudio.com/can...-the-foot.html
    Last edited by Ayrton; 06-12-2021 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Added pic
    -Chris

3. Back To Top    #13

I make all my own rcas, techflex is essential so they look decent in my install, I tend to favour rean plugs and other a little modifying I can get 8.5mm cable into them…

a few examples…
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24BB8CF8-9102-4FF6-9CC1-A38B62F4FF34.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	15867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	062C26A1-7EB7-4E1D-ADB0-FD2C7149E27C.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	15868   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D72C6F8C-A277-468E-8607-DF0B2DA2E769.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	15869  

4. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    I make all my own rcas, techflex is essential so they look decent in my install, I tend to favour rean plugs and other a little modifying I can get 8.5mm cable into them…

a few examples…
    Those all look awesome. I'm hoping mine come out that well -
    I ended up buying WTB plugs that look a lot like those, quad-shield, and a black and grey braid. Looking forward to having them all exact length in the rack.

I spotted those labels - is there shrink you can print on? I'm wanting to print some of those myself - I've got 11 channels and an amp rack the size of a postage stamp - and I'm going to have 3D printed wire routing structures throughout. I could sure use some slick labels like that.

5. Back To Top    #15

You can buy printable heat shrink, but expensive. I print regular labels and clear heat shrink over them.
    -Chris

6. Back To Top    #16

That's a great idea - I may have to try that.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
    You can buy printable heat shrink, but expensive. I print regular labels and clear heat shrink over them.
    Great idea!
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

8. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
    ... I print regular labels and clear heat shrink over them.
    Same here. Use my old trusty Brother label maker with its PC Label Designer software that connects to an old Windows laptop PC via USB and cover the labels with the clear adhesive-lined heat shrink. They come out looking slightly yellow-ish instead of crystal clear but I don't care.

And years ago the parent company of Streetwires/MTX had a bunch of stock liquidation sales on eBay on all types of car audio wiring accessories. Two of the best items they were selling dirt cheap were the CBR44M fused distribution blocks and bulk packs of 50pcs of the Streetwires Zero Noise ZN5.0 RCA connectors (shown below). I bought a boatload of both and have used them with excellent results throughout the years.

Name:	h211ZN50.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	15879

I use Sommer Cable SC Peacock MK-II twin-lead "zip cord" type microphone cable for my custom-length RCA interconnects. It's available in either blue or black.

Name:	a_1584_otsi2@2x.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	15880

I usually don't bother with the Tech-Flex anymore unless they will potentially be in an area where they need some extra protection...

Most of my installs are OEM/Stealth where I'm not concerned so much with showing them off.

Below is a Link to some Photos of the RCA interconnect cables that I've made using the above ZN5.0 RCA connector ends and Sommer Cable twin-lead microphone cable just so you can get an idea of their size, etc. The RCA cables shown were the process of being installed on a 3/8" thick King Starboard plastic amp rack board that has been reused and through at least 3-4 iterations of equipment with various amps & DSPs, etc. There have been as many as 4 amplifiers mounted to the back side and it is buried under an OEM rear cargo area side trim panel and never seen, so that's why it's so messy & fugly. I wasn't concerned with it looking pretty at that point, LOL.

https://1drv.ms/a/s!AmW70ymwG0gjsBPKdrPeR_hVSH9L
    Last edited by bbfoto; 06-16-2021 at 11:48 AM.