Thread: Stereo sub delay question

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Stereo sub delay question

I’m curious as to how one would go about adjusting time delay on a sub setup run in stereo with only a single delay adjustment. Case in point:

In my 1996 Corvette is a very basic setup using the T/A built into my Kenwood Excelon DDX-395. I have a set of Dayton tweeters on the a-pillars (F outputs) & Infinity Reference 6.5 coaxes in the factory kick panels (R outputs). All four of those are delayed using the individual T/A channels.

But now the quandary... I’m running 2 Dayton 6.5s in the factory rear locations each run off its own channel of a HiFonics Thor (125x2) but I’m only able to adjust the L&R as one. The left sub is 34” from my head and the right is 48”. For calculation sake my furthest speaker is the RF kick at 62”.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAD658A2-A8EB-47B9-ACCA-32A5D4945B49.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	158.2 KB 
ID:	15777

I’m ok if I can’t get “up front bass” because, honestly, it’s just a nice day fun car. I’m not necessarily worried about staging, imaging, etc. I’m just mostly curious but if it also helps someone who IS worried about it I thought I’d throw it out there.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Re: Stereo sub delay question

You'd have to get an external DSP.

3. Back To Top    #3

Set the sub distance as 41” as a start point, subwoofer wavelengths are long so the difference between the two drivers will lead to minimal phase difference

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

You could also try changing polarity on one of them to see if it sounds better, or worse.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    Set the sub distance as 41” as a start point, subwoofer wavelengths are long so the difference between the two drivers will lead to minimal phase difference
    That was my first thought... use the average measurement. I tried it that way first and it didn’t seem to change much, however, I didn’t adjust it at all after that to see if it got me any closer. I’ll fiddle with it more as I get time.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    You could also try changing polarity on one of them to see if it sounds better, or worse.
    I actually tried this by total accident because the speaker plug on the amp is REALLY beat up and I had a hard time seeing the +/- markings and I ended up with one out of phase. Sitting still with the engine off I could feel the bass in my seat but it really wasn’t audible for obvious reasons. It was almost like I had shakers under the seat & no subs. With the engine on & driving they totally disappeared.

I’ll try playing with it some more but, like I said, it’s not going to be a big deal for me. I may even just let it set to 0 and let the bass come from the back.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Quote Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post
    You'd have to get an external DSP.
    I totally get this if I’m looking for perfect... and I have one... I just don’t want to deal with it. This being a fun, nice day car, I just want tunes to be heard over the engine/exhaust which is kinda loud so... I’ll hold off on this option.