Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please someone, talk me out of a JL 13 W7AE

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Please someone, talk me out of a JL 13 W7AE

I am looking to replace my current single 12 with something new. I like to run ported turned to 33 Hz (no real reason other than personal preference). I just came back from a local shop where i came really close to walking out the door with a 13W7AE-D1.5 but decided to ask for some feedback and single 12 recommendations first. I tend to buy impulsively which is why my recent purchase of a shyte 12" is now a regret LOL

So before i buy another sub (and possibly amp) I wanted to ask what peoples suggestions are? What people think about the 13W7AE-D1.5? IS it just overpriced hype? What are great options for ported applications

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Re: Please someone, talk me out of a JL 13 W7AE

It’s probably not what you want to hear but... you should DEFINITELY buy it! The only experience I have with the 13s was hearing the JL GTI in 2001 and they were so impressive that I bought an 8w7. That was by FAR the best sub I’ve ever owned. They are not overpriced hype. I had my 8 in a 1 cu ft ported box tuned to 32Hz and it easily embarrassed most dual 10” boxes with only 250w from a JL Slash 500/5. It dug deep and it was clean & tight too. It’s a good bit of coin for that sub but really think about why JL hasn’t reworked that sub OR come out with a better one. I’m not sure there’s a reason or need to. My opinion... that’s as good as you’re going to get if you want clean, low and loud all in one package.

Sorry, but... it ain’t my money. Do it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

It's all personal preference. I had 12W7 and did not like it. Replaced it quickly with a SI RM-15. Tried the W7 sealed and ported. Just didn't have the output I wanted. I'd go with a SI SQL-12 any day over a JL W7. Or better yet, the 15 if you can fit it.

4. Back To Top    #4

uh too bad Cutaway. Just get that 13W7AE and post lots of pictures!!

5. Back To Top    #5

I love the w7 subs and the SI subs...honestly you can't go wrong! I ran two 10w7's in a project vehicle and I'm doing to SI SQL 12's in a new project.SI is a better prospect money wise...I'd do a SQL
    15 and never look back!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

No love for the IDMAX? Always enjoyed each 12W7 in the past, and still use it as a reference when comparing anything since. The IDMAX 12 kind of does everything I liked about the 12W7, but with a bit more, "natural" sound in my opinion. Difficult to describe, leans almost towards the Morel Ultimo 12.

And they make an IDMAX 15 too if you're really feeling crazy.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

Hst 15. Feed it 2k and let it eat.
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Cutaway View Post
    I am looking to replace my current single 12 with something new. I like to run ported turned to 33 Hz (no real reason other than personal preference). I just came back from a local shop where i came really close to walking out the door with a 13W7AE-D1.5 but decided to ask for some feedback and single 12 recommendations first. I tend to buy impulsively which is why my recent purchase of a shyte 12" is now a regret LOL

So before i buy another sub (and possibly amp) I wanted to ask what peoples suggestions are? What people think about the 13W7AE-D1.5? IS it just overpriced hype? What are great options for ported applications
    Just don't. Way too overpriced. Go with a Stereo Integrity SQL or HST.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

I never considered the SI, thank you for that suggestion... I am a little nervous about the 13W7 being a dual 1.5 ohm as i was trying to achieve a single sub - 1 ohm load. Do you think .75 vs 1 is really going to make any difference on the amplifiers stability and longevity?

WOW, those SI SQL's are definitely nice and shockingly low priced I deff should have looked at those even before buying the Helix Q 12W

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

They're not low priced, you just used to overpriced JL