Thread: Amp gain and DSP Volume

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: Amp gain and DSP Volume

Quote Originally Posted by Stycker View Post
    The best analogy I heard for this is to think of the volume knob as a accelerator pedal. You would not want the car engine at full rev when the pedal is only depressed 10% and vice-versa.
    I think that would depend on what your goal is. Ultimately that will determine how you want your gains (or pedal). Certain racers/competition vehicles (drag racing) may very well want this. There are literally devices that change this too and some are being built into vehicles now with drive modes and drive by wire systems, think sport mode, eco mode, tow mode, etc. (I own a pedal commander that does this exact thing).

I have my pedal commander set to sport mode.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 09.55.12.png 
Views:	458 
Size:	318.1 KB 
ID:	15720
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

Good point. I like a good spirited drive most days. I like my volume control to start off soft and have almost full volume by 3/4. Always leave a little headroom for those very dynamic songs. I have a few songs in my rotation that were recorded -10-15db. It sucks if you can't get enough volume for those specific tracks.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

This concept is called volume mapping sometimes, and it is as contentious as arguing about anything else in audio lol.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    This concept is called volume mapping sometimes, and it is as contentious as arguing about anything else in audio lol.
    I’m sure the logarithmic nature of audio is also not helpful in volume mapping along with hearing thresholds. How much should 1 click be? Enough to be noticeable, not enough to max out too soon. Then how many clicks is the right amount to have? All questions that I’m sure very few can answer.

I’m glad I don’t have that job!
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    I’m sure the logarithmic nature of audio is also not helpful in volume mapping along with hearing thresholds. How much should 1 click be? Enough to be noticeable, not enough to max out too soon. Then how many clicks is the right amount to have? All questions that I’m sure very few can answer.

I’m glad I don’t have that job!
    The Pioneer DEH-80PRS volume increases 1 db per click from @40 clicks to 60 clicks, then changes 2 db per click for the last 2. I'm sure somewhere below 40 clicks the db change is 2 db or more per click, but I haven't checked that yet. Thought someone might find that info useful.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle
    2018 F150

I think I got it sorted. My listening volume is around 33%-50% now. Max vol for my liking is a bit higher and I have some headroom for low volume songs.

Appreciate all the ideas and incite! Gave me a lot to consider.

7. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    I think I got it sorted. My listening volume is around 33%-50% now. Max vol for my liking is a bit higher and I have some headroom for low volume songs.

Appreciate all the ideas and incite! Gave me a lot to consider.
    If it’s clean to 80% I’d make it 50-70% volume and get more signal for the amps, save 10% for the quiet tracks

8. Back To Top    #18

The DSP408 can only handle 3.2V of rca input MAX.

9. Back To Top    #19

What headunit model#? What amps model#?The DSP can only handle 3.2v max. A multimeter doesnt tell you if you are clipping.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Vehicle
    2018 F150

Im using high level inputs from factory Sync radio. I dont have issues with it clipping.