Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Decision on ditching the spare tire - did your car even have one?

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: Decision on ditching the spare tire - did your car even have one?

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    I've heard a lot of bad things about run-flats. Like crazy-expensive and they have a terrible ride - so no interest in those.
    Very true... the first car I had with run flats was a C5 Corvette. The tires were stiff, and because of the compounds used it went from decent traction to 'oh shit' at the flip of a switch. I changed over to regular tires and never carried a spare... but kept a small compressor in the back with a plug kit just in case. I sold that car with just over 200k miles on it... and I never needed to use the plug kit. Perhaps I was lucky... but I wouldn't bother with a spare at this point and I'd do like you did with roadside assistance.

Mark

2. Back To Top    #22

Quote Originally Posted by Theslaking View Post
    But really I never carried one in any vehicle except my trailer vehicles. I don't mind spending time on the side of the road here and there. Builds character.

But I haven't needed to yet.....
    Funny story... a friend and I rode to Sturgis one year and had a blast. The next year, one of his friends asks to ride along... except he's not riding. He's driving his truck with his bike on a trailer. Older guy, so I cut him some slack.

The guy was one hell of a fabricator, and had built a custom trailer for his Harley for this trip. Unfortunately, he didn't look at the tires that he put on that trailer close enough. They were dry rotted, but looked decent at first glance.

We didn't get 30 miles out of town when the first one blew on the freeway. The 2nd one blew in some podunk town in nowhere, Texas.

Before that trip was over, he'd bought two new tires for the trailer, one new tire for the spare, and an additional spare tire and wheel just in case.

Sturgis still kicked ass... but I could deal with less "character building" on a trip like that.

Mark

3. Back To Top    #23
    Vehicle
    2015 Toyota Camry XSE V6

Just pulled the trigger on a portable compressor.
    I found a great deal on the Viair 84p ($38 in “very good” condition from Amazon warehouse:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also bought a cable to attach it directly to my battery. Many 12v sockets (cigarette lighter) don’t like feeding 15a
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. Back To Top    #24

i aborted my spare and added roadside assistance to my auto insurance. i toss in the spare and jack kit if i'm on the road more than 2h techzpod download mobdro
    Last edited by fabizop; 07-28-2022 at 08:48 AM.