Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Decision on ditching the spare tire - did your car even have one?

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Decision on ditching the spare tire - did your car even have one?

Yeah I liked that method for TPMS and you didn't have to be a rocket scientist to clear the light either. Some Nissans can be a real PITA!

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Ironically I’ve only ditched the spare in one car to install audio gear and it was the ONLY time I ever got a flat. I have always kept the spare in every car I’ve ever driven daily since... and never needed it. I’ve contemplated it a LOT over the years and I always think back to that one time.

3. Back To Top    #13

VW has the angular velocity tire pressure monitoring as well. it's relative not absolute. the light's like "something's wrong check it out"

i usually see it pop on when i cross over the mountains around here. not a perfect system but it works.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

My Mustang didn't come with a spare tire. A stock spare tire wouldn't even fit over the brakes of that Mustang, so no need to break a sweat on this. In addition the spare tire wheel well is only 6 inches deep, but my wheels are 10 inches. You get the idea here....
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC
    JL Audio 10w3v3 in custom enclosure (Blueprint by Mark @Caraudiofabrication)

5. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Cathul View Post
    My Mustang didn't come with a spare tire. A stock spare tire wouldn't even fit over the brakes of that Mustang, so no need to break a sweat on this. In addition the spare tire wheel well is only 6 inches deep, but my wheels are 10 inches. You get the idea here....
    Does that come with a pump/fix-a-flat type emergency kit?
    And did it possibly include a tire plug kit as well for punctures?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

Yes, it has a pump/fix-a-flat kit.
    Don't know if it includes a plug kit as well.
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC
    JL Audio 10w3v3 in custom enclosure (Blueprint by Mark @Caraudiofabrication)

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

The two times I've experienced a flat tire on the road (never my vehicles but riding with others) it was a sidewall issue and nothing you can carry besides another tire could fix it. I carry a tire inflator and plugs for long trips because the spare is usually speed limited anyway and just good enough to get you to a tire repair place.

I also carry roadside assistance on our vehicles (like $5 a year for us) and have AMA (American Motorcyclist Association, similar to AAA) which also covers roadside stuff. But the few times I have used roadside (not for tires but my wife loves to lock her keys in the car and one time my motorcycle stator stopped working and my battery died on my bike so needed a tow.) it took at least a couple hours to get someone there. A plug takes me 5-10 minutes to do and be back on the road if needed (never needed yet besides off roading on my rzr)
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

One year in without a spare. So far so good. Its rolling the dice for sure. I do like it much better than losing cargo volume or going on a long drive without a sub box.

9. Back To Top    #19

I'm ditching mine but have installed a tire inflator, gotten roadside assistance and will carry the spare in the back on road trips.

10. Back To Top    #20

Like a 5th wheel? That doesn't even make sense.

But really I never carried one in any vehicle except my trailer vehicles. I don't mind spending time on the side of the road here and there. Builds character.

But I haven't needed to yet.....