Thread: Confused about steering wheel controls

1. Back To Top    #1

Confused about steering wheel controls

Hello everyone!

I've installed several car stereos and speakers over the years but I've never had to deal with steering wheel controls until now and I'm a bit unsure about it and looking for some quick advice.

I have a 2005 F150 Lariat.

I'm looking to purchase the below head unit. If you are uncomfortable clicking the link just search Amazon for: "Binize Double Din Car Stereo Radio 10 Inch Android 10 with Apple Carplay/Wired Android Auto,Bluetooth,GPS Navigation,AM,FM,RDS,DSP,Support Backup Camera(10 inch Android 10 +Carplay+Android Auto)"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7CLL1SI2&psc=1

The below module was recommended to ensure I can use the steering wheel controls but I'm not sure if I need it and don't want to waste $60 on it if its not necessary. if you want to look it up on Amazon, search for: "
    Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

My question is simply, do I need the Metra module to make the steering wheel controls work or will they function directly with the head unit? The description for the head unit states that its compatible with steering wheel controls and has to "learn" what the buttons do, but I don't know if I will have any problems or lose any functionality. I don't 100% trust the description because everything is written in pretty broken English.

Any insight?

Thanks in advance!

~Nate

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Confused about steering wheel controls

It looks like the steering wheel uses a standard resistance ladder. I found this on another site

Vehicle Information
    Resistance Type Control System YES
    Reference Ground Wire Color DARK GREEN/ORANGE
    Reference Ground Polarity (-)
    Reference Ground Location RADIO HARNESS
    Reference Ground Pin # 19
    Control Wire 1 Wire Color LIGHT BLUE/RED
    Control Wire 1 Polarity (-)
    Control Wire 1 Location RADIO HARNESS
    Control Wire 1 Pin # 18

3. Back To Top    #3

You will likely need the axxess unit to translate between car and stereo, but the Chinese stereos often promise so much and then fail to deliver… buyer beware springs to mind

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    You will likely need the axxess unit to translate between car and stereo, but the Chinese stereos often promise so much and then fail to deliver… buyer beware springs to mind
    I have the same worries but the stereo does have a lot of good reviews and is 5x cheaper than others I've seen on Crutchfield and elsewhere. I'm not looking to have an amazing sound system. The main driver here is being able to connect with my phone for music. The stock head unit doesn't have an aux input nor bluetooth, so I need a new stereo.

As long as I have bluetooth and it doesn't knock out my steering wheel controls, I'll be happy.

And sounds good, I'll get that extra Axxess module to ensure compatibility.

Thanks again for the help everyone, I know enough to get by but was getting confused trying to research this topic.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Master View Post
    I have the same worries but the stereo does have a lot of good reviews and is 5x cheaper than others I've seen on Crutchfield and elsewhere. I'm not looking to have an amazing sound system. The main driver here is being able to connect with my phone for music. The stock head unit doesn't have an aux input nor bluetooth, so I need a new stereo.

As long as I have bluetooth and it doesn't knock out my steering wheel controls, I'll be happy.

And sounds good, I'll get that extra Axxess module to ensure compatibility.

Thanks again for the help everyone, I know enough to get by but was getting confused trying to research this topic.
    I’d rather have a $150 pioneer double din for Bluetooth and audio

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    I’d rather have a $150 pioneer double din for Bluetooth and audio
    Yeah I would prefer to go more name brand too but I REALLY like the tablet idea. Makes the interior look so much more modern and its just pretty neato. Plus I'm getting a tailgate emblem backup camera so parking this boat will be that much easier with a giant screen. I guess I'll be the guinea pig for the forum with this head unit. I'll report back when I get it all installed and do a little review of it. Fingers crossed...

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    It looks like the steering wheel uses a standard resistance ladder. I found this on another site

Vehicle Information
    Resistance Type Control System YES
    Reference Ground Wire Color DARK GREEN/ORANGE
    Reference Ground Polarity (-)
    Reference Ground Location RADIO HARNESS
    Reference Ground Pin # 19
    Control Wire 1 Wire Color LIGHT BLUE/RED
    Control Wire 1 Polarity (-)
    Control Wire 1 Location RADIO HARNESS
    Control Wire 1 Pin # 18
    While I appreciate this info. I have no idea how to translate this to whether or not I will need the Axxess module. Again, on Amazon it says that "people who bought this head unit frequently bought the Axxess unit."

The head unit didn't say it was required, just frequently purchased together.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

On the radio harness, locate the dark green/orange and light blue/red wires. Using a multimeter, check each of them for voltage. If none is present, change the meter to read ohms and see if the ohm value changes every time you press a button on the steering wheel. If each button has a different ohm value, such as 1.2k or 1.8k, then it's a simple resistance ladder that the radio should be able to understand. If the wires put out voltage, or the ohm values don't change very much, then you'll need a Pac module to decipher it.