Thread: Moving centre of soundstage

1. Back To Top    #1

Moving centre of soundstage

Getting back into audio.

Have set my TA and the centre is slightly off to the left.

Is it best to move it by changing the TA or output levels levels?

I tried adjusting the TA but it didn’t do much, but reducing the levels of the mid and tweeters (2 way) the same amount for each did work and moved it nicely into the centre of the dash.

Is this the best way or should I try more with the TA?

I did have a phase issue with the left mid being much louder than the right mid so I flipped the phase and they now sound equal but lost some midbass response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Moving centre of soundstage

Don’t adjust ta, once it’s set it’s set, if the stage is off to the left that is rare, your levels are off… does it change with male vs female vocals, it may just be a measurement issue

where are you in the country mate? I am playing with mine all day today and all day tomorrow perhaps if you fancy a drive (j28 M1) although I get a sneaky suspicion you are down south so perhaps a bit far… but I’m up for a tuning session if you are

what processor are you using?

your phase should not need changing pretty much ever unless one is wired out of phase by accident

3. Back To Top    #3

Think it might be a driver issue.

I was turning down the left side levels to match the right side, but suddenly loads of extra output from the right side mid whilst driving today.

Will swap out the right side driver with a spare to test.

Would love to meet up but Mrs is in a mood with everything so not a good idea to get some me time at the moment (or ever). Long story...

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by SiW80 View Post
    Think it might be a driver issue.

I was turning down the left side levels to match the right side, but suddenly loads of extra output from the right side mid whilst driving today.

Will swap out the right side driver with a spare to test.

Would love to meet up but Mrs is in a mood with everything so not a good idea to get some me time at the moment (or ever). Long story...

A driver won’t suddenly play louder unless it’s really messed up and then it’s likely to short out and die catastrophically

5. Back To Top    #5

Changed the driver and now the right side fine. Flipped the phase of the left driver back to normal and all sounding good with no level adjustment needed to make the centre in the centre of the dash.

Wonder if the original driver chassis was bent or something else wrong with it as it’s fine with the replacement.

They are antique OZ Audio drivers but sound very smooth

6. Back To Top    #6

I was going to comment on that phase flip.
    Some frequencies that can [seem to] make sense, but really it is frequency dependent and it absolutely makes sense that you'd lose your bass from those drivers.

If there is some frequency range where you don't get a centered image at the driver's seat, and you flip one driver's phase and you are focusing on that frequency range, it might sound like there's an improvement. But the downside is both above and beyond that frequency range. Above, you'll likely get even more comb-filtering effects than your offset seating position already creates. Below - well, flat out simpler cancellation, the lower you go. So if you can avoid it, avoid it.

So glad to see you flipped it back and it's better with a new driver.
    Speaking of that... maybe time for NEW drivers, if your antiques are failing on you.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have some Alpine SPX mids ready but need to sort out proper mounting rings.

The Oz’s were just to test and replace the factory mids