Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online composites/fiberglass suppliers

1. Back To Top    #1

Online composites/fiberglass suppliers

My local favorite DIY boat builder supply shop no longer exists, sadly. I do have a West Marine still here, but that's top dollar for average stuff and not a great selection (at least in stock).

I actually have most of what I need in my own reserves here, except resin. Polyester is fine for what I'm doing.

I may want to pick up some 4-way stitch mat (all woven) or some of the stitch mat that's part chop mat.

I'm already grinding my teeth thinking of the price of shipping on a gallon of resin (maybe I won't need a full gallon - maybe I'll actually figure out what I need)...
    ...but can anyone point me to a good but reasonable online composite supplier?

Time to start knocking stuff out.
    Thanks!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Online composites/fiberglass suppliers

I've always used US Composites

3. Back To Top    #3
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

I used US Composites years ago and they were excellent.
    Very helpful with selecting materials too.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

4. Back To Top    #4

They definitely have everything I need... and more. Awesome.

Their site doesn't even do e-commerce though.
    Absolutely insane. It's so 1980s pre-internet manual to even get them an order - there's an order form.
    I suppose I will have to call them and (I hate doing this for ALL the security reasons) give them my card over the phone

5. Back To Top    #5

Isn't Bondo polyester? You can get that at Lowes if you have one local.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Bondo is to polyester resin what McDonalds is to fine dining

7. Back To Top    #7

Well okay then.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, Home Depot (probably Lowes too) sells Bondo brand polyester resin.
    Just to be clear though - that's different than "Bondo" body filler, or tiger hair chop filler for that matter. Those are useful for filling and smoothing, but not laminating.

I never tried it - always had access to the boat supply house and they set me up with polyester or epoxy resin that was both good and cheap.

US Composites definitely has some options - I probably only need the surfboard resin but that vinyl ester resin sounds ideal and is reasonably priced. I'm just building for my own install this time so I could definitely experiment.

Realistically It's a low risk panel I'm 'glassing - fully curved, it's not too big so I can easily build it up thick and bond braces to it. Even Bondo brand resin (which is polyester) is probably fine, worst case scenario.

9. Back To Top    #9

Real Name
    Glenn (GLN305)
    Vehicle
    1996 Dodge Dakota Reg Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Dan17ExplLtd View Post
    Isn't Bondo polyester? You can get that at Lowes if you have one local.
    Bondo is a polyester resin, but there are resins with and without a wax additive to aid in sanding. The Bondo brand has the wax, which will require sanding between cured layers and is the main reason why people do not have success with it. Choose a resin with no sanding aid and you can apply a new layer directly over a cured layer.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    -Albert Einstein

10. Back To Top    #10

So in part because I cashed some of my work recognition benefits into a few hundred Amazon bucks, and in part because I was intrigued by what "surfboard resin" is:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0742J7R...ZFEHWAKAK8292E

At that price I suspect it's polyester resin, even though I've never heard of poly used for surfboard construction. I'll test it out when it gets here.

They also had a decent looking biax stitch mat. Will be fine for my short term needs.