Thread: Something more secure than Speed/U-Clips for Mounting speakers?

1. Back To Top    #1

Something more secure than Speed/U-Clips for Mounting speakers?

Is there a Better option than Speed Clips or U-Clios for Mounting speakers that can't use self tapping screws?

Mine keep rattling loose on my bike.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Re: Something more secure than Speed/U-Clips for Mounting speakers?

https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

3. Back To Top    #3

if that's the only thing that will work, look for the extruded and tapped type with lots of thread and use machine screws.
    On the mcmaster website search for "spring nut". An example 8-32 part number is 94850A105.
    I think i've seen it inside autozone and pepboys too. Search for "clip nut" or something.
    Maybe add a drop of the blue loc-tite 242 too (from home depot and other places)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Notloudenuf View Post
    Wish these came with a thin locking nut too! I'm going to give them a try tho! Thanks!!!

Those Spring Nuts are a bit pricey.....if those inserts don't hold bouncing down these wonderfully maintained Louisiana roads then I guess ill bite the bullet. Lol thanks for the response

5. Back To Top    #5

Problem I ran into when I bought the assortment pack was my opening is too large and that makes the bolt size too large then what will fit through the holes...

6. Back To Top    #6

I second the blue loctite.

Depending on where the speed clip is, you could also use a spring washer and flat washer - but

1) that doesn't work at all unless the flat washer has a solid surface to rest against and the speed washer can pull the spring washer into the flat washer.

2) it's only good if you don't have any adverse effect from creating a gap (the thickness of your washers) at that location.

Since we're talking about a speaker here, #2 will probably be an issue, so...
    ...blue loctite for the win.

You might even need red if blue doesn't work. The speed washer only has like 1 thread that it 'bites' on the screw (compare that to like 6 or 7 on a real nut), so even "permanent" loctite won't be too permanent.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk