Thread: How to display amplifier output in volts?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to display amplifier output in volts?

This may be a dumb question, but I am trying to find a way to display my amps output in volts, preferably like a volt meter displays your battery voltage. I thought I could just find an AC voltmeter and hook it to my amps outputs, like setting power output with a multimeter. I would like to be able to keep an eye on my output as my amp puts out more than double what my sub can take RMS. With the difference in level between different songs, I want to make sure i am running the power I am comfortable with. I found some AC meters but they were 110/220, I dont know if what I am trying to do is dumb, but I cant imagine nobody else has thought of this. Any help or info is greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: How to display amplifier output in volts?

The only time an amp will put out full power is if you're running a test tone full volume. Most of the time, under normal listening conditions, the amp isn't even putting out half of its potential power. Even if you were cranking on it, most subs can handle a small transient of power beyond its rated capacity.

I'm not saying that what you want to do can't be done, but if your gains are set properly, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

3. Back To Top    #3

The issue you will have is that the meter will be slower to respond than the amp will make voltage so in reality you won’t really get any useful info from the meter unless it’s mega fast, but then they are designed to be read and for that you need the polar opposite and it to be a relatively steady slow change...

far better to use the clip indicator on the amp, maybe see about moving the led for that if it has one and extending a lead from amp to the front of the car

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses. I set my gain to be at 36v but when I played some songs I saw up around 39-40v. My remote has a clipping indicator, but Im only asking the amp to put out 1200 - 1300 watts and it will do 2250 or more. (Soundqubed HDS3.2 on a Soundqubed 2250) I think the test tones I have been using may not be right. If someone could tell me where to look for good test tones I would appreciate it.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

You're over thinking it. test tones aren't perfect. You typically use a -6 to -10db sine wave when setting a gain on a sub amp because a lot of recordings can be light on the bass and it can handle some distortion/clipping before being an audible issue. If we used a 0dB sine wave, you'd just end up increasing the amp gain, unsatisfied with the output.

Just listen to the speaker. It will tell you if you are over powering it when you can hear audible distortion. Some distortion is fine. But if you really concerned, listen at the speaker and not from your seat, where the distortion will be more audible.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by turbomalibu78 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I set my gain to be at 36v but when I played some songs I saw up around 39-40v. My remote has a clipping indicator, but Im only asking the amp to put out 1200 - 1300 watts and it will do 2250 or more. (Soundqubed HDS3.2 on a Soundqubed 2250) I think the test tones I have been using may not be right. If someone could tell me where to look for good test tones I would appreciate it.
    My gains are set for double the rms power of my subs, as long as you don't clip the amp or run test tones constantly this works well.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the info, makes sense. I agree I was over thinking the problem, or trying to create a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. This is the first system I've had in a decade and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Are there any good threads / other resources that anyone would recommend for basic / advanced car audio knowledge?