Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BMW E60 sq build (Helix/Ground Zero)

1. Back To Top    #21
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Re: BMW E60 sq build (Helix/Ground Zero)

Well this took its sweet time, but the build is finally done and the car is delivered to its owner Been working on this off and on between the projects on my main job.

Changed the setup a little bit in the end. The owner wanted to retain the BMW I-drive functionality (even though this does not do much when you take away the audio control settings), and the idrive screen/control wheel is controlled by the OEM head unit. So we agreed on ditching the Halo9 install, keep the idrive, and use a phone/dap/tablet etc as the audio source, since she 99% is using spotify for playback anyway.

And then the most convenient way was to use a Helix bluetooth streaming module. But since the M Four DSP amp does not (yet) have an option to fit such a module, I swapped it out for a regular M Four, plus a Helix DSP Mini with HEC BT module. This setup only use 5 channels anyway, so no need for the 10 dsp channels in a M Four DSP.

I installed a Helix URC.3 controller on the side of the centre console, to control both main and subwoofer volume.

I do have some build pics from the trunk build, but at first here are some pics of the finished trunk:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210721_172209.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	16077

Name:	20210721_172254.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	16078

Name:	20210721_172340.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	16079

2. Back To Top    #22
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

I'm equally bad at editing as filming, so it really evens out

But put together the small clips I made on my phone while building:

Last edited by Haakono; 09-22-2021 at 02:10 PM.

3. Back To Top    #23
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Beautiful acrylic and custom vinyl work... Was it a PITA applying the "stickers" to the back of those magnets so symmetrical? I am supper bummed that Helix has decided to discontinue the Q line of subs, hope they replace with something better and not take steps backwards...

Definitely a show piece worthy install!!!!

4. Back To Top    #24
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Thank you thank you

Actually the accent rings are laser cut/engraved plastic, so they are pretty thick and rigid, they are fastened with industrial double sided tape. It's made with special dual-colour engraving plastic (white bottom layer, black top layer), so the laser burns away the top layer to reveal the bottom layer/color.

Not too hard to align, but then again aligning and mounting stickers/graphics/signs has been my trade for the last 20 or so years.

Regarding the Q series subwoofers, I've heard talk on forums etc for "years" that at least the Q15W was discontinued, but they are still in stock over here, and I mentioned this as recently as earlier today when talking on the phone with the local Helix distributor, he had heard no such thing from AF themselves.