Thread: Drive in Movie Distortion

1. Back To Top    #1

Drive in Movie Distortion

I had a weird experience this weekend at the local drive in theater. They broadcast the audio over FM and i have been there before, several years ago with no issues. They are under new ownership now so I wanted to go check it out. When the movie started i was getting distortion from all my speakers, even at low volume. I adjusted everything i could trying to minimize it, but with little success. When we left, I switched over the XM and media and tested the system, it sounded fine. Is there something that the Drive in is doing to cause that? Thank you for your input.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drive in Movie Distortion

Quote Originally Posted by JCMitchell32 View Post
    I had a weird experience this weekend at the local drive in theater. They broadcast the audio over FM and i have been there before, several years ago with no issues. They are under new ownership now so I wanted to go check it out. When the movie started i was getting distortion from all my speakers, even at low volume. I adjusted everything i could trying to minimize it, but with little success. When we left, I switched over the XM and media and tested the system, it sounded fine. Is there something that the Drive in is doing to cause that? Thank you for your input.
    They are running their signal too hot somewhere in the chain and causing clipping (likely clipping inputs). It's all in their equipment, not yours. Have a chat with the manager about getting that fixed.

3. Back To Top    #3

That's exactly what I thought but wanted someone to verify that with me. I know the owner so I'll discuss with him. Thank you!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JCMitchell32 View Post
    That's exactly what I thought but wanted someone to verify that with me. I know the owner so I'll discuss with him. Thank you!
    Had that problem at my local drive-in.