Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Box for SI SQL 12" & matching amp rack

1. Back To Top    #1

Box for SI SQL 12" & matching amp rack

So this box will be on the fancy side (hopefully)! Below is a simple dropping to give you an idea... The box will be birch plywood with LEDs recessed into the panels and glowing where you see the yellow highlighter. There will be solid 3/4" thick walnut panels outlined by the LEDs, and the lights will carry around the sub. The flat surface that are recessed will be brushed aluminum. Not sure if that makes sense... I can see it in my mind, but it's hard to put in to words! Lol
    Sealed at about 1.0 cuft. About 32" wide x 14" high x 9" deep.

Btw, I'm open to any other ideas to make this thing cool and fancy... There is no budget, so materials and finishes are wide open.

There will be a matching amp rack with the same carpet, aluminum and dark walnut. The rack will have a MiniDSP on the back, and two Toro Tech amps over it...

2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: Box for SI SQL 12" & matching amp rack

Oh. Em. Gee.

This I have to see!
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

You're such a tease

4. Back To Top    #4

I think the finish combinations - black carpet, dark walnut wood and brushed aluminum should look pretty good, especially with the shapes and layers and lighting...

I have some walnut samples OTW, and I'll get some stains to see what looks best.

Maybe a medium finish like this:

Or slightly darker? You can see how good black and walnut look together...

2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

5. Back To Top    #5

The car and the trunk... I am doing a full 2 way active build on the E39 (left) and the M3 is the one I recently did a build in. The front stage will be all factory locations with nothing visible, so the trunk has to look spectacular!

#TRUMP2020

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

No problem, you got this

Is the trim inside that lighter color? I can't remember much about those model Bayerische Motoren Werke.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    No problem, you got this

Is the trim inside that lighter color? I can't remember much about those model Bayerische Motoren Werke.
    It's that light, non-speckled grey... We won't be matching that, as the black carpet contrasts nicely against it. The plastic trim is black and the leather is tan.

#TRUMP2020

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Ahhhh ok. That lighter shade would definitely help balance between the tan and black - especially how walnut tends to reveal this beautifully dark grain detail.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    Ahhhh ok. That lighter shade would definitely help balance between the tan and black - especially how walnut tends to reveal this beautifully dark grain detail.
    Yep. I love walnut for that... I got a few pieces coming, so I can experiment with different stains. I'm gonna do a flat/matte finish... I'm not a fan of glossy wood, trees aren't shiny!

#TRUMP2020

10. Back To Top    #10

I miss me E38.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.