Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tiny footprint SQ amp for front stage imaging

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Re: Tiny footprint SQ amp for front stage imaging

@jtrosky has experience with the RF mini power amps I believe and he even won a competition with them if I remember correctly.

I personally love the JL Vxi600/xi5 and Vxi800/8i DSP amplifiers. Very small in size and best of all they eliminate tons of wiring that is normally required with separate DSP and amplifiers. The SQ is top notch too and with the Bluetooth module I can tune wirelessly with my iPad.

The XD line is similar only even smaller and affordable too.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

2. Back To Top    #22

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    @jtrosky has experience with the RF mini power amps I believe and he even won a competition with them if I remember correctly.

I personally love the JL Vxi600/xi5 and Vxi800/8i DSP amplifiers. Very small in size and best of all they eliminate tons of wiring that is normally required with separate DSP and amplifiers. The SQ is top notch too and with the Bluetooth module I can tune wirelessly with my iPad.

The XD line is similar only even smaller and affordable too.
    I'm a long time JL fan (pic to prove I'm old lol)...
    I'll check those both out for sure - thanks.

You know, I've pretty much discounted every mainstream brand's DSP except Helix...
    Haven't even heard great things about AudioControl's.

How is JL's?
    Is it possible to derive differential rear fill and add delay to it, for two channels - and also high and low pass filter it? Meaning, left-only and right-only (subtracting out the 'common to both'). It's probably my tallest order for DSP.
    Also, can you apply all-pass filters?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Geoleman,

‘The JL can do differential rear fill but I have never used it for that purpose so I can’t really advise you on this. I would suggest you download the TuN app onto your laptop or iPad and try it out for yourself. I personally find the TuN software very intuitive and easy to use and it has more than enough features/power to get me the tune I want in all three of my vehicles.

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

Look into the Pico or Atomo line of amps from Mosconi.
    Small packages with lots of power.
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC
    JL Audio 10w3v3 in custom enclosure (Blueprint by Mark @Caraudiofabrication)

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

I have a Pico 80x2 that I might be selling soon when I swap in the Vxi. It has been supplying power to my GB25 for over a year now.

Ford F150

Sienna

6. Back To Top    #26

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    Geoleman,

‘The JL can do differential rear fill but I have never used it for that purpose so I can’t really advise you on this. I would suggest you download the TuN app onto your laptop or iPad and try it out for yourself. I personally find the TuN software very intuitive and easy to use and it has more than enough features/power to get me the tune I want in all three of my vehicles.
    That's good to know that I can check out the software in advance. I'll give that a shot.
    I'm definitely going to be purchasing a DSP at the same time...
    I do like the modularity of a separate DSP and amps, but one option I looked at was the Helix V-Eight DSP. Impressively compact and great bang-for-the-buck.
    The JL would be along that same vein.
    Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #27
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

Little bit of a delay on my install & thoughts of the T1000x5AD - I received it and it looks great, feels like a tank, and is just so shockingly small in person...but I went ahead and purchased the T400x4AD too, along with some mids, Valicar pods & a few other things so I can just wrap up the whole install all in one go. I've been piecing things together now for a few years so it'll be nice to finally have everything finished in the way that I want. The last piece I'm waiting on is a fresh T-harness, hoping to get that sometime next week so I can get everything finished up the following weekend. I'll send over my thoughts on the amps once they're actually powered up!

8. Back To Top    #28
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Very cool and thank you for the update!

The power minis are really sweet but they can get warm, so let them breathe a little if you can
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

9. Back To Top    #29
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

Good to know, thanks Justin! I built an amp rack for them under the hatch floor over the weekend, but I do have some decent PC fans from my last build that I could drop into the floor to add some ventilation if needed. Figured I’d give it a go as-is for now and see how they do with heat down there.

10. Back To Top    #30

Quote Originally Posted by Serieus View Post
    Good to know, thanks Justin! I built an amp rack for them under the hatch floor over the weekend, but I do have some decent PC fans from my last build that I could drop into the floor to add some ventilation if needed. Figured I’d give it a go as-is for now and see how they do with heat down there.
    ^^ this ^^

I'm basically thinking exactly the same - I even have a raised hatch floor because of this model's center exhaust, so I can do a false floor rack without losing any space, provided the amps are small.

One thing I was worried about with those amps is fan noise over time, but that's easily replaceable should they get noisy.

And if you do build an enclosed amp rack with a fan at each end (push/pull, one blowing in, the other out) then I'm thinking you really wouldn't hear the amp's fans, and you can buy some incredibly silent PC fans.

Not that I've been thinking about it

It makes sense those amps will get hot - that's a ton of power in an unbelievably small heatsink.

I can't wait to hear your impressions.