Thread: Distance between tweets and mids too much on a CRV?

1. Back To Top    #1

Distance between tweets and mids too much on a CRV?

I'm putting together a new system and the stock front speaker locations in my CRV have the tweeters all the way up at the front of the windshield, and the mids are right about in the middle of the door panels. This is a pretty significant distance, and to be honest I am not exactly sure what that might do to the front image. This system will have time alignment, and I am planning on running an active setup for the front stage (I will not be running rear speakers).

My question is, is there a general rule of thumb in terms of trying to keep tweeters and mids within a certain distance in order to preserve an element of sound quality? I am curious what others thoughts are, and if there might be a good recommendation for an alternative tweeter location.
    Last edited by Stealth1; 03-26-2021 at 08:05 PM.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Distance between tweets and mids too much on a CRV?

3. Back To Top    #3

It would be far better to make sail panels for tweeters, not for the reason most make sail panel pods... but it put the drivers in a vertical line, which makes the stage boundary similar for both mids and tweeters

you will never get a good coherent centre and left/right of centre of left and right don’t line up acoustically to your brain and ears...

Test it first as reflections may make the tweeters appear wider... but both need to be equally wide to the ear... switch between left mid and left tweeter and ideally the brain should hear no movement in placement when flicking between the two... now try it with the right side and see if the same is true (this is a harder side to achieve a good stage with

4. Back To Top    #4

This makes perfect sense about driver alignment and soundstage boundary. The effect of tweeter vs midrange placement on soundstage and imaging is one area of car audio that I could still read up on a lot, so your post is very helpful.
    Last edited by Stealth1; 03-27-2021 at 08:54 AM.