Thread: Limited Space for Front Mids & Tweets - Looking at Options and Opinions

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    '64 Corvette

Limited Space for Front Mids & Tweets - Looking at Options and Opinions

Hey audio junkies,

I started a thread on my build over at DIYMA. Here's a link for context: 64 Corvette Convertible My thinking sure has evolved over the past 3 months and figured I'd give this forum a try with some fresh questions.

I'm doing a 2-seat tune and the things I have sorted out are: GB10D2 in the "trunk", JL HD900/5, Helix DSP Mini (using the RealCenter function), and for the center, two Audiofrog GS42's wired in parallel. I can't fit a bigger speaker in the center, but I can fit two 4" side-by-side. The real problem I'm facing (and it is partly self imposed) is that I have very limited options for the front L & R channels. There is very little room in the kicks and anything I put there will be proud of the surface and start to interfere with foot well space if I go bigger than about 4". Doors, a-pillar's, and sails are off the table due to aesthetics. No space under the seats. I'm not looking to compete this car, I just want it to sound good and have enough SPL for top down driving.

I do have room directly behind the seats. I could easily put some 6x9's there. So here are my thoughts: I could either A) put full range 6x9's behind the seats (thinking GS693), B) try and live with a 4" coax in the kicks (I'm thinking GS42), or C) put a midbass behind the seats (GS690?) and a 4" in the kicks. For option C I'm wondering if I cross over the 6x9 just right, if I won't be able to localize the sound coming from behind as much and the 4" up front will give the front stage its localization.

Let me know your thoughts. Free rides this summer to anyone in the Detroit metro area that helps out big!

Thanks,
    Patrick

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Limited Space for Front Mids & Tweets - Looking at Options and Opinions

I would go with option "c" 4" high in the kicks just under the vents, 6x9" or 8" as wide as they can go behind the seats LPF @150-250hz. PSSounds just tuned a 70's vette, this is how they set it up. https://youtu.be/jYm_Nnq1tKU

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    '64 Corvette

Perfect! Thanks for the info and vid. I can relax a bit now knowing my option C can work.

Their sub box is what I had in mind and I can see adding the mid-bass on either side. I also liked the idea of amps and DSP on top of the box. I'll have to see if I have enough room for that.

Patrick

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Yeah, if you can keep the midbass as close to 150Hz and down as possible, it will help reduce localization.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    '64 Corvette

Actually, I just ran across something interesting that might give me an option "D". Probably not news to anyone here, but I hadn't seen the Morel Powerslim speakers before. I can fit their diameter and the depth should be ok as well. I can have something sticking out a couple inches without it interfering with my clutch foot. Still trying to figure out how much volume I need in a sealed enclosure for them or if they can run IB I'll just leave the backside of my speaker pod open (there are a couple open cavities in that space, not big enough for a speaker to sit in unfortunately though).

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...tegra-coaxial/

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Patrick