Thread: Punch 300x2 to Fosgate 6x9's AP or HP

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2006 Grand Prix GT

Punch 300x2 to Fosgate 6x9's AP or HP

I have some Rockford Fosgate 6x9's
    https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosg.../dp/B002G9DO9M

Should I set the 300x2 to HP or FP, I was thinking to set it to FP and 100-125 hz, even though it says it can handle 50 hz, I don't want to push the bass hard at loud vol as I have my bass already from a Fosgate P3 DVC 12", but I do want to hear good mids and highs from them...
    I debated on setting them to HP but if I do I am not sure what to set the amps frequency crossover to... I think good mids should be from around 250/500/1k/2k.....
    If I understand HP and FP with the crossover set to not allow tones under what I set it to, then I think either at 125hz should produce about the same...
    Speakers specs are below..

• Built-in high-pass 12dB/octave Butterworth tweeter crossover
    • 50Hz - 22kHz frequency response with 90dB sensitivity

2. Back To Top    #2
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Re: Punch 300x2 to Fosgate 6x9's AP or HP

I think you mean "HP" or "AP" which is high-pass or all-pass.

Non-subwoofer speakers like the 6x9's you have, should have a high-pass filter of some kind. Otherwise, the cone will try to travel too far and fail, or you'll be sending more power to them than you anticipate and they will overheat.

A common rule of thumb is to high-pass at 80hz, and low-pass the subwoofer similarly at 80hz.
    Then adjust to taste.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2006 Grand Prix GT

Yeah, sorry I meant AP not FP...
    That is on par with what I read after posting my question.
    I'll have my sub unhooked, and my balance faded to rear, so nothing should be coming out of any other speakers, I'll set the 300x2 to HP and 80hz to start, then I'll adjust my deck vol to 30 and see if there is any clipping, my 750x1 clipped at 31 vol input..
    If it is fine at 30 during the CLEAN test I'll adjust the gain till the output clips, then I'll back it down, hook the rear speakers to the AMP, and see how it sounds at 30 vol /80hz, if that sounds good I'll try adjusting the AMP's equalizer knob, if the bass is too much I'll up it a tad till it sounds good..
    Or should I just leave that AMP EQ knob all the way down, and adjust my EQ via my deck?

Thank you for the response.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Some people like to adjust bass boost from the radio since you can always change it on the fly, instead of needing to park and get a screwdriver.

I like your idea of listening to them solo without other speakers playing since it's much easier to hear if they are being stressed or not.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    2006 Grand Prix GT

Got things sounding pretty good meow, I have a bass knob to let a lil more or less bass drop, it works fairly well..
    I turned my front speakers up first, set my deck EQ to have them sound good at 30 vol which is where I usually max things since it is before any clipping/distortion, then I saved the EQ settings..
    As Rockford suggests I flattened the EQ and performed the steps for the CLEAN setup by unhooking the sub and turning it up till the output light blinks red, then back the gain off till it stopped.
    Did the same with the 300x2, only at 30 input vol the input never showed the input signal as clipping, but still 30 vol on the deck is my sweet spot so I do not go above that.
    I upped the gain till it showed clipping, then backed it off..
    Set the amp to HP and 80hz, but I am going to up it to 90hz as once I re-applied my decks EQ settings, and listened to the rear by itself, at 30 vol there was a tad more bass then I needed coming from them...
    It may take a while to get it all just right, but I am deff getting somewhere, and I am happier with the sound it is producing.

Now I am wishing my front 5.25" Rockfords had a little boost, but the Kenwood head unit makes them sound decent..

Thanks again for the help.