Thread: Help me pick out some new tweets

1. Back To Top    #1
    Perpetually dissatisfied tRidiot's Avatar
    Real Name
    Danny

Help me pick out some new tweets

So I need some new ones. I'm running a pair of Morel MDT-12s I bought a few years ago as placeholders just to get something in the spot and never replaced. One of 'em gave up the ghost, so I need to replace them and thought I might as well get something decent. Budget is generally up to $200-250. Looked into higher end, but really can't justify spending $300, $350, $450 on tweets. Like James said in the chat this morning, 98% of the performance at 50% of the price. I don't need that extra 2%. Not right now anyways.

So that being said, these are going in my 370Z, stock dash location, firing into the windshield, mounted in these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41KeM6qVn0L._AC_.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	15306

I can get to about a 55mm flange diameter, 60 is just possible with those mounts. I looked at the Scan D3004, but they are just a hair larger and would be pushing the mounting a bit too much, I think. Those

Top 2 choices right now are the Morel MT 230 @ $260 shipped, and the Scanspeak Illuminator D2004/6020-00 @ ~$240.

Scan has an Fs of 700, recommended x-over of 3k @ 12dB/oct. 4 ohm nominal, 50 RMS, 86dB sensitivity (2.83v/1m).
    Morel has Fs of 1200, factory crossover is 2200 @ 12dB/oct. 6 ohm nominal, 130W RMS, 93dB sensitivity (2.83V/1m).

So gimme your thoughts.

BTW, I listen to a lot of rock, from classic Pink Floyd and such to modern hard rock like Breaking Benjamin and Three Days Grace. Some Broadway, opera, classical. A little rap like 2Pac and Dre. So pretty all over the place. Vocal tonality is important, I don't need metal dome zing and sizzle.

They'll be paired with SI TM6.5 mkIIs (I think?) running off a Zapco DC750.2 with on-board processing.

<edit> Oh, and I need a pretty good amount of output - they'll be keeping up with the TM65s and 2 SI MagV3 12s with 3500W.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Re: Help me pick out some new tweets

Just the comment of "I need a pretty good amount of output", which makes me think you like to play loud, puts the Morel's in the lead. 93dB sensitivity to 86. That's 7dB for free! And the fact it's rated to handle more power means they'll play louder. The lower crossover of 2200, if true, is better for your 2-way setup as well.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

I’ve got a used pair of MT 23’s for sale, $200 shipped.
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

4. Back To Top    #4

i have a friend who had 2s in his 370z dash, with tweeters in the sails. you looked if anything larger than a 0.75-1" tweeter could fit there?

5. Back To Top    #5
    Perpetually dissatisfied tRidiot's Avatar
    Real Name
    Danny

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
    i have a friend who had 2s in his 370z dash, with tweeters in the sails. you looked if anything larger than a 0.75-1" tweeter could fit there?

Those mounting plates I posted are cut exactly for my dash. 68mm across, that's the width of the opening, but there's a lip behind it for the dash. I'd rather not go cutting into my dash even under the grills.

2" would be just over 50mm or so, then figure any kind of flange for the speaker, that's a super tight fit. I'd be interested to know which 2" he has in there. I'm not going to be going with a 3-way, though, although I could potentially fit a larger tweet - up to 55-60mm in total diameter at most. I'm open to ideas, but Bobby's MT23's up there look like a pretty good deal. Near as I can tell, there is little difference between the MT23s and the MT230s, although the MT23 has a lower Fs, possibly due to the double neodymium magnet I am reading about?

I dunno.
    Last edited by tRidiot; 03-06-2021 at 02:15 PM.

6. Back To Top    #6

I am on my second set of MTs and love em... The MT350s in my case, but close enough.

Oh, and they're tiny...
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Two words.

Mor-El.

That is all.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post
    Just the comment of "I need a pretty good amount of output", which makes me think you like to play loud, puts the Morel's in the lead. 93dB sensitivity to 86. That's 7dB for free! And the fact it's rated to handle more power means they'll play louder. The lower crossover of 2200, if true, is better for your 2-way setup as well.
    I have 150+ rms going to the MT350s and those things get way louder than I can handle...
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by tRidiot View Post
    Those mounting plates I posted are cut exactly for my dash. 68mm across, that's the width of the opening, but there's a lip behind it for the dash. I'd rather not go cutting into my dash even under the grills.
    he had some AP Brahma 1"/2"/6.5" set in his car. for some reason, i blanked on the fact that 2" is about 50mm and 1" tweeter flanges can be over 55-57mm