Thread: Chit's Moosetang

1. Back To Top    #51
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: Chit's Moosetang

I uhhh... got what's left of them

There was a slash cut into the envelope, and both stickers have a gash through the U and D of audio - found out a minute ago it's from one of the mounting feet on the amp. Looks like it punched through the box from the inside, through the envelope, and bent a little bit.

I can fix it though!
    Are you not entertained?!?!

2. Back To Top    #52
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    I uhhh... got what's left of them

There was a slash cut into the envelope, and both stickers have a gash through the U and D of audio - found out a minute ago it's from one of the mounting feet on the amp. Looks like it punched through the box from the inside, through the envelope, and bent a little bit.

I can fix it though!
    What the chit? Let's get some amps hooked up and makes some speakers go boom!!
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

3. Back To Top    #53
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Ordered a rear shock tower brace, which is ironic to me since the shocks bolt to the little humps near the floor in front of the spare tire well. Guessing that rear hump brace just sounded funny, so they decided to call them towers instead.

Anywho, should be here Wednesday:

Reason being - that brace goes right through the spot I was hoping to mount either the subwoofer or amplifiers. Working on a new plan now - but need the brace in to get some more measurements and then can move forward with the amps and sub installation.

4. Back To Top    #54
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
    The rear needs wheels spacers, I'm guessing 3/4", to bring it flush with the body like the front is.
    Guess what I found out! So, the 8.8" Ford axle in the Mustangs progressively stepped out a bit wider from the Fox Body through the SN95 and into the New Edge body styles. The '86-'93 Mustangs have 29.063-inch axles, and the rear end is 59.25 inches from axle flange to axle flange. The '94-'98 axles are 0.75 inches longer (the rear end is 1.5 inches wider overall). The '99-'04 axles are another 0.75 inches longer (the flange-to-flange width is 3 inches wider than with '79-'93 Mustangs)

Sooo... went on the hunt for a '99-'04 rear end, and might have found one. The guy that owns a local Mustang graveyard knew of a fellow Mustang owner trying to do a 5-lug swap into their Fox Body, and has a New Edge axle. They are just a pain to fit being so much wider, and were looking for an SN95 axle. Looks like we may do an even trade - it's a win-win for us both! Will definitely update progress with that. Should push those wheels out further towards the fenders, without the need for spacers.

The rear shock brace arrived yesterday too. After some test fits, don't see it affecting the install at all. If anything, might bring the amp rack a bit closer to the rear seat, but that's about it.

5. Back To Top    #55
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Front wheel hubs have been ordered. They seem a bit... squeaky? Best way to say it. Sounds like a grocery cart going down the road. At least when diving in that far to do the hubs, can find out exactly how much more needs replaced underneath to keep her up to date and maintained.

Alright then, ON TO THE AUDIO!!!

My parts guy sourced a set of those Mach 460 sail panel speaker pods. Will definitely make installing those tweeters a lot easier. Plus more factory appearing too.

Also, not sure if I said this anywhere, but the 12v cig plug thingies, yanked both out. There was one by the E-brake below the armrest, and one below the radio in front of the shifter. Pulled those, plucked the wiring, tossed em.

Decided to replace them with USB ports. The radio has a cable attached to it with a single USB input. Kenwood recommends not using any extenders or other ports or whatnot, so I'm thinking it's best to try and use that cable input directly for the best usability. But how... about... a bottlecap? Hey, that's what I was thinking too. Found one that fits right around the cutout. Few minutes with a razor blade and some JB Plasticwelder, we'll see what happens:

Used a bit of alcohol to remove the cigarette symbol off the door that hides it too:

The other 12V plug location, will just be installing a charging port, as the Kenwood didn't have a 2nd USB input. No biggie, at least we'll have an additional port to charge phones or tablets or whatever:

6. Back To Top    #56
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Awesome idea, Dan!

time to sell it

7. Back To Top    #57
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

USB cable fit perfectly, and looks pretty good to me:

Keep eyeballing that factory shifter while doing this project... and happened to find one of these locally for a crazy price. Like almost 1/3 of what they cost new. And this one... is still new:

Might be a while before swapping that out though. Would be much easier to wait until I pull the seat and console and carpet to run wires for the audio. Plus, that red O/D off button just isn't... you know. Need to find something different for that spot.

8. Back To Top    #58
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Score!

9. Back To Top    #59
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Just realized I hadn't updated this thread in a while.

Went ahead and started on modifying those Mach 460 sail panel pods.

Took them all apart to see how exactly would we make those XS28 tweeters fit:

Baffle was my immediate idea, but that means the domes would touch the stock grille:

Thought about using a PVC cap or something similar that recesses the tweeter further into the sail panel pod, but while messing around with the pieces... discovered this:

The XS28 mounting rings just barely fit inside the factory cutout. I mean, almost perfectly. Enough for some Plasticwelder on the backside to secure them. Let's try it!

Doubled up on the frontside after the backside adhesive cured:

Tweeters fit right in there!

10. Back To Top    #60
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Some quick tidying of the wires and added connectors:

They bolted right to the factory location:

Obligatory door panel removed shot:

Should be fairly easy to dampen that door. Went ahead and ordered some of those NVX silicone baffles too. Will run wires before installing the woofers. Shouldn't have any clearance issues with them:

Had to trim the door panel though in order to fit the pods. It isn't as clean as I hoped, but will fix it when rewrapping the upper panel later on:

And here we go: