Thread: Android auto audio output

1. Back To Top    #1

Android auto audio output

At present I connect to the usb of my car and the head unit is connected to my helix m5dspmk2 and I listen to everything to everything via android auto on my phone. I was wondering if anyone is aware of a way I can continue this setup but some how get the audio to the optical input of my dsp so it bypasses the head unit? I was thinking of getting a bluetooth receiver with optical output which obviosuly I could use without android auto in the loop but I cant find a way to get my phone to force audio over bluetooth when android auto is running over usb, (I have been experimenting bluetooth headphones)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Re: Android auto audio output

I think you'd have to ditch android auto. Even though you are connected through the USB cable, it still requires BT connected to your HU to work. You'd be limiting the audio quality output over BT as well. Android auto will support up to 24-bit 48Khz lossless. Any BT is going to be lossy and be between 264kbps to 576, depending on the codec your phone and input device support. But if you aren't using hi-res audio files / streaming service, then it doesn't really matter anyway.

A better solution would be USB to toslink adapter you connect to your phone. Then you can support 24-bit 96Khz. But it looks like your Helix supports max of 24/48 anyway. So the only benefit is if you believe in optical to the Helix is better than analog from your HU (unlikely to tell the difference). Maybe if you have a crappy HU with a poor DAC.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the usb toslink adapter advice I will look into it. I was always under the impression it was much better to ditch the factory HU where possible, but from what you are saying the optical capabilities of my dsp possibly aren't good enough to notice any discernible difference?
    Last edited by Crusher; 03-01-2021 at 12:38 PM.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

It's subjective. Some can, some can't.

But it also depends on what your source files are. If it's the radio and lossy streaming services, then absolutely no point.