Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MiniDSP question

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: MiniDSP question

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Check to all.

The turn on pop cheap fix is a simple delay circuit for the amp turn on.

I don't have the controller or BT module. Mine is quiet on the desk on 110V power. My noise is mostly due to gains not being optimal when trying to deal with the Toyota EQ and subbass roll off over half volume. I can get it to sound wonderful with no audible hiss...at half volume and below.

I think we can all see where my biggest problem is......OEM headunit. I have considered keeping the 408 and just trying to get the Kenwood to play well with it.
    What is your main music source?
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

2. Back To Top    #12
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

The main source is a usb drive. I have a large collection of 80's FLAC files (along with other music) which are converted to MP3 320. I rarely use anything else.

I am very picky about how things function and look though. I just like to start the vehicle and go. I also like to let the wife drive it without her having to learn anything about the stereo. An aftermarket stereo isn't a deal breaker since I can make everything work. Separate volume knobs, digital music players, etc...are.
    Meh, it'll play.

3. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    The main source is a usb drive. I have a large collection of 80's FLAC files (along with other music) which are converted to MP3 320. I rarely use anything else.

I am very picky about how things function and look though. I just like to start the vehicle and go. I also like to let the wife drive it without her having to learn anything about the stereo. An aftermarket stereo isn't a deal breaker since I can make everything work. Separate volume knobs, digital music players, etc...are.
    Why don't you just do a DAP directly to the dsp and leave the h/u out of the equation?

I have the Fiio X5 and BT for when I use my phone, both connected at the DSP. The Mini remote is my main volume and bass knob. The sound quality is superb. No amount of tuning and gizmos will get a factory h/u to sound as good as a DAP.
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

4. Back To Top    #14

I couldn't revert to using something like a DAP as my main source. I like my big OEM 8.4" touchsceen, steering-wheel controls, voice-control, integration with nav, phone calls, vehicle alerts, etc. For me, convenience easily outweighs any sound-quality improvement I'd get going with a DAP (or any other source to be honest) vs a head-unit. I mean let's face it - we're driving big metal boxes around at high speeds - there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to sound-quality in a car. :-) My head-unit, connected to an AmpPro, which is connected to a Helix via optical connection is more than enough sound-quality wise. I seriously couldn't imagine going back to futzing with something like a tiny DAP for music selection, etc while driving.

Not to mention proper integration with navigation, bluetooth phone calls, etc - so that the system automatically quiets the music to tell me when to turn - or when someone calls, etc. You lose all of that when going with something like a DAP vs a head-unit.

DIfferent strokes for different folks, I guess. :-)

5. Back To Top    #15
    Vehicle

You are correct David, even using my phone as a source makes a world of difference; however, I am set on a head unit if some kind.

I'm probably much easier to please than many on this forum as far as sound quality goes. As long as it sounds good and the tone is where I want it, I only have problems with things which are audibly offensive like hiss, distortion, or bass roll off, etc...

At this point I either tinker with using only the lower half of the volume range on the OEM unit or swap headunits.

Since the Kenwood RCA is more than double what the Dayton inputs are rated for, I considered the miniDSP.

At least my Camry will be easier. It has the JBL system which has an Amp-pro available.
    Meh, it'll play.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

If it matters any I have a Dayton DSP with a Kenwood Excelon with 5v outputs and have absolutely no noise issues, so they will definitely “play nice together”. It also gets plenty loud. I’ve heard of others having noise issues using the remote but I didn’t see if you mentioned using the remote. I think I remember people having noise issues with the early units too... I only got mine a year or so ago so I’m pretty sure I got a later production unit. Have you tried contacting PE to see if it’s exchangeable? I’ve also heard good systems with the MiniDSPs so I don’t think you can go wrong either way.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Vehicle

Thank you, that's good to hear about the Kenwood Excelon. No, I haven't contacted PE because I know why I have noise and it's more because of the OEM headunit.

I was more worried the Kenwood outputs would damage the 408. If it works, I may just keep the 408 because then I'd only be getting the miniDSP for the remote. I could get the 408 remote and just plug it in to change a preset then unplug it if I have to.
    Meh, it'll play.

8. Back To Top    #18

using the 408 with an aftermarket radio: you'll just hit the clipping inputs point of the dsp sooner in the volume knob. it'll be fine