Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MiniDSP question

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

MiniDSP question

I'm thinking of replacing my Dayton DSP408 with the C-DSP 8x12. I'm tired of trying to combat the noise issues.

I currently have the Dayton measurement mic and use REW. Will purchasing the miniDSP mic provide any advantage over the Dayton mic?
    Meh, it'll play.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: MiniDSP question

If you will just be using the mic for rew, then it wouldn't matter... If you are planning on getting Dirac Live in the 8x12 then you would need the UMIK-1 MiniDSP mic. According to their site, only that mic is compatible with DL.
    I wouldn't say there is any technical or sound advantage, though.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/car...p/cdsp-8x12-dl
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle

Thank you very much for the response. That was my take as well. Just wanted to make sure.

I may do the DIRAC Live later and can just get the mic then. I'm currently happy with using different curves and REW. Don't you dare tell me DL is better, and a must have! My budget build is slowly crumbling away as it is.

I do want to know more about your new remote though.
    Meh, it'll play.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Thank you very much for the response. That was my take as well. Just wanted to make sure.

I may do the DIRAC Live later and can just get the mic then. I'm currently happy with using different curves and REW. Don't you dare tell me DL is better, and a must have! My budget build is slowly crumbling away as it is.

I do want to know more about your new remote though.
    Well, here goes... Lol

Seriously, if you aren't an expert tuner, you can not beat DL. If you are an expert tuner or are aspiring to be one, then you might be ok without DL.

The remote is really nice, I am happy with it. For $50 it's an absolute steal. You can use it as a main volume, mute, bass knob, turn DL off and on, and choose from 4 presets...
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

5. Back To Top    #5

they're both nice DSPs. the dayton supposedly has 3.5vrms output, cdsp has 4.5vrms output.

i don't use my dsp-408 in a car. the cdsp does get noisy/hissy at higher input or output levels.

that said, i don't know what noise you're trying to combat, what the rest of the system is, nor how it's configured. i know others have complained about the dsp-408's noise and replaced it with much success.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
    Seriously, if you aren't an expert tuner, you can not beat DL. If you are an expert tuner or are aspiring to be one, then you might be ok without DL.
    i sat in a car of a guy who did a DL tune, i was pretty impressed with the tonality and time alignment setup. the highs were too bright, so we dropped tweeter levels by like 3db. midbass was lacking, so we bumped them by 3db. and overall dropped the drivers-side levels 3db to bring the center in place. once we made those tweaks, he was super happy.

i don't know what type of DL tune he put on it, 2ch, active, or whatever.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle

My noise issues are, turn on clicks/pops (which can be solved cheap), and noise floor problems. It is connected to the Toyota OEM speaker out. Setting gains and not having noise is doable; however, the overall output is low. Bumping up the main output level on the 408 raises noise floor to audible levels during quiet passages.

I can solve this problem in different ways but, I've heard the noise problems are worse with RCA in, which makes me wonder if I want to keep it. Especially if it won't play well with the unit I'm looking at. A Kenwood with 5V preouts.

Edit:. I forgot to add...I'd like a remote for different presets and apparently, the Dayton remote is a noise inducer as well.
    Last edited by Smitty; 02-27-2021 at 02:43 PM.
    Meh, it'll play.

8. Back To Top    #8

i don't think the 408 has a configurable remote turn-on delay to help with pops. hopefully your amps are using the dsp's remote turn-on and not the factory radio. you could try unplugging the controller to see if that's a source of noise for you.

i don't know if you've got the BT module or not to test the analog vs BT noise source theory. however, that doesn't mean the noise is from the dsp itself, it may be coming from the factory radio.

i don't know if you've taken a 3.5mm-to-rca cable from your phone/laptop to the dsp inputs to see if that noise is any better.

"mixer" button bottom left in the 408: make sure your input sources are 100%. there's no other real controls for output beyond the +6db.

i have mine on my desk between dac and headphone amp, i don't notice any noise with mine at inputs 100% outputs +6db.

(i usually have a hard time replacing gear unless i'm sure the source of the problem and that new gear will fix it. especially when some free install/setting changes will alleviate it)

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle

Check to all.

The turn on pop cheap fix is a simple delay circuit for the amp turn on.

I don't have the controller or BT module. Mine is quiet on the desk on 110V power. My noise is mostly due to gains not being optimal when trying to deal with the Toyota EQ and subbass roll off over half volume. I can get it to sound wonderful with no audible hiss...at half volume and below.

I think we can all see where my biggest problem is......OEM headunit. I have considered keeping the 408 and just trying to get the Kenwood to play well with it.
    Meh, it'll play.

10. Back To Top    #10

my old factory radio was the same sort of hell, so i adjusted my gain structures to be at maximum output around 20 of 30