Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System not sounding good at low volumes

1. Back To Top    #1

System not sounding good at low volumes

Hi Guys,
    I've got a helix p six amp/dsp and I've used DSP tool to auto ta + eq the system (with the audiofrog house curve).
    Only issue i'm having is that it sounds good at about 80-90db but anything below that it sounds really dull and lifeless. No real bass/midrange. Wondering if anyone has any advice on what i can change to help this.

Cheers

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: System not sounding good at low volumes

Tune it to your taste at the lower volume and see what it sounds like turned up a little

findong a balance between lower volumes and higher is a big balance

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

Does your p six/dsp have the new ACO platform? If so there are things that can be done.

4. Back To Top    #4

No, the p-6 isn’t aco, only the mini, dsp.3, ultra, v8 and v12 as far as I know

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

It’s the Audiofrog curve. Use the JBL or half whitledge curve instead. The Audiofrog curve sounds flat and lifeless to me too.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    It’s the Audiofrog curve. Use the JBL or half whitledge curve instead. The Audiofrog curve sounds flat and lifeless to me too.
    The JBL curve is too close to the Audifrog curve to be much different, especially since Andy created/tweaked both.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Not if he puts 20 db more bass on the subwoofer than the midrange area and use the JBL curve. I personally like the JBL curve better and I like the half whitledge too but again with 20 db more bass over the midrange. I make the transition from the midbass to bass a little bit fatter too as personal preference. I bet he only has 10 db more bass and the transition to midrange is shallow.

He can crate a new tune while keeping the one he has and then switch back and forth to compare them. That’s the beauty of a DSP, totally customizable.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

Whats cool about the new ACO platform and Director is the use of bass and treble controls, like the old days but better. I believe its more of a shelf filter and you can also choose the crossover point on the fly in real time through the Director. I tune with an elevated midbass and sub base and the use the tone controls on the director to even things out.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    Tune it to your taste at the lower volume and see what it sounds like turned up a little

findong a balance between lower volumes and higher is a big balance
    I'm already doing the auto eq at the lowest volume that it picks up the mic.

10. Back To Top    #10

Then the curve you’re tuning to isn’t to your taste then, try a half whitledge curve instead, you can write your own curve relatively easily in helix

also when tuning the left side of the car are you turning subs down by 6db? You will have six db more mid range when both sides are on, but likely the same level of subs so it will sound think and weak... a lot of people say the audiofrog curve sounds weak... but I bet a lot miss this very vital step!
    Last edited by dumdum; 02-27-2021 at 04:45 AM.