Thread: Helix Q Series Subs

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Helix Q Series Subs

I must admit i have become kind of a Helix fanboy which is not a great thing... And because of this i am considering running up to my local dealer and buying either a Q 12W or Q 15W, BUT I have not had an opportunity to hear these...

I am really hoping that some of you on the board have experience with these and are willing to share your thoughts, opinions and suggestions around these subs???

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Helix Q Series Subs

Pretty decent sounding subs, Peter Steinbacher uses them a fair bit, and our bmw sq car used a 15 which won every round it ever went too, make of that what you will

3. Back To Top    #3

I’ve got a Q10W in a small 15L sealed box powered by 2 Genesis Mono SQ amps at 2ohms. It’s a lovely musical SQ sub that shifts plenty of air when cranked up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

I can't remember what Doug Dobson has in his car, but I am 99% sure it is some 10" helix. It sounded good in there. Maybe if he ever showed up to one of the Phoenix FNA meetups. (note: FNA stands for Food n Audio...it seemed like the appropriate name for the people meeting up in Phoenix)
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

I appreciate all the feedback. I just ran up to the shop an grabbed a Q 12W (they discontinued the 15 ) and a P One to drive it...

I am a little concerned with the published T/S parameters that are published as every program (BassBox 6; WinISD; Term-Pro; ect) i plug them into throw red flags indicating T/S shenanigans. But the EBP suggests a it might do well in a ported which i am excited about

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Cutaway View Post
    I appreciate all the feedback. I just ran up to the shop an grabbed a Q 12W (they discontinued the 15 ) and a P One to drive it...

I am a little concerned with the published T/S parameters that are published as every program (BassBox 6; WinISD; Term-Pro; ect) i plug them into throw red flags indicating T/S shenanigans. But the EBP suggests a it might do well in a ported which i am excited about
    Take it to Sean's this weekend and measure it with DATS! Justin has it and could probably be convinced to bring it, it is super small and portable.
    Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 02-24-2021 at 08:50 AM.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

Peter (Psound) usually runs them ported and in the videos they look and play great. He has an install with a transit type van that sounded awesome in my headphones. Not a good measure but they looked to move plenty of air. They need big boxes though...that's what pushed me away from looking at them.
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Doug Dobson
    Vehicle
    2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Jeep JK, 2005 VW Touareg, 2012 Kia Optima SX, 1992 Jeep YJ, 1999 Silverado, 1992

You are right JDunk. It is a Q10W and I love it. In the spec'd vented enclosure. I have a pair of the K12W in my Optima, and they do darn well too, but not as musical. I was planning on a pair of Q15W for a system just to really have fun with a SQ vehicle, but they are no longer available.
    Doug Dobson

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Doug Dobson
    Vehicle
    2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Jeep JK, 2005 VW Touareg, 2012 Kia Optima SX, 1992 Jeep YJ, 1999 Silverado, 1992

Cutaway, the enclosures always look a bit odd in design software, but they work very well. Small sealed, small or medium vented, and they are fantastic in 4th Dual Chamber single vented enclosures.
    Doug Dobson

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

I had a full Focal speaker setup in my first setup in my current car, 3-way Flax components and a K2 10" sub (ES25K). I sold the sub, and put in a Q10W in a small sealed test box (around 15L/0,5cu ft) just to try it out for a short while until I decided on a new setup. Ended with me using it for a year and a half, because it absolutely was better than the Focal in any way, at half the price (probably even less than that with US prices). First I ran it of a Helix SPXL1000, later on a smaller (and more suiting) Helix M One.

Was so impressed with it that I decided to go with a trio of both (Q10W and M One) for the sub stage in my next setup, complementing Focal Utopia M components:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190906_183539_zpsrxkejf1s.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	337.4 KB 
ID:	15284

but the want (not necessarily need) for a full Utopia setup made me go that route in the end. But I have no doubt that the Q10W setup would have given the Utopias a good run for the money.