Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing rivnuts in the trunk

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2015 Toyota Camry XSE V6

Installing rivnuts in the trunk

I'm in the process of testing out some new equipment and configurations in my trunk. To facilitate this, I'd like to install a few rivnuts in the floor of my trunk so I can anchor a sheet of MDF or plywood. Once that's in place I'll have something super easy to mount to. In the future I may also use the rivnuts to anchor an amp rack / false floor setup.

I'm thinking of picking a few spots potential spots, then looking under the car for any obvious conflicts before I move forward. This is a FWD car, so there shouldn't be too much back there, and I'm pretty sure that the gas tank is under the rear seats. I checked yesterday, and besides the spare tire well, there are no existing holes at all.

For those of you that have done this before, have you ever run into any issues with this? Are there any better ways to anchor equipment to the trunk floor?

Thank you in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Installing rivnuts in the trunk

I've never done rivnuts, but I have drilled thru the floor for bolts. I would suggest that after installing them, you spray the underside with some rubberized undercoating to prevent rust. If you don't use all the rivnut locations, put a bolt or plug it with putty to prevent water from coming up thru the hole.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2015 Toyota Camry XSE V6

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    I've never done rivnuts, but I have drilled thru the floor for bolts. I would suggest that after installing them, you spray the underside with some rubberized undercoating to prevent rust.
    Great point, thank you.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    2016 WRX

I’m just thinking off the top of my head, but perhaps glue (very strongly) some wood to the boot (trunk) floor and put some nutserts (that’s what I call them...they screw into the wood but have a centre that will accept a whatever gauge screw/bolt) into those pieces of wood? Just saves drilling is all.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    2015 Toyota Camry XSE V6

That’s a good idea, thank you.

I could also use some of the industrial strength Velcro, which is basically another glued option.

Thanks for the feedback.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have used rivnuts with no issues... Like you said, check below it before you start drilling holes, you want to avoid rivnutting the gas tank if at all possible.
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

This is a helpful rivnut video, showing how to install the nuts without any special tool. The tool is a waste of money and everyone can use rivnuts easily.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    2016 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by blockrocker View Post

This is a helpful rivnut video, showing how to install the nuts without any special tool. The tool is a waste of money and everyone can use rivnuts easily.
    Blahahahaha!!! I actually bought a proper rivnut tool and then sometime later saw this (or a similar) YouTube vid and was a wee bit annoyed

9. Back To Top    #9

Rivnut tools are dirt cheap. You can get a decent one with a nice case and 6 different sizes of mandrels on Amazon for like $35 shipped. It even comes with 10 rivnuts of each size. :-) I recently bought one and used it last week and it works really well.

Not sure I'd bother with with the "hacks" to do something that such an inexpensive tool can do so much better and easier.

I recently bought this one and I really like it (Tackife seems to be a pretty good "budget" brand for tools like this - I also bought a Tacklife dremel a while ago and it works really well):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    Nissan N16

Blockrocker, that is perfect for a cheapskate such as myself, thank you