Thread: Installing rivnuts in the trunk

1. Back To Top    #31
    Real Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    2016 WRX

Re: Installing rivnuts in the trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Theslaking View Post
    Pl400 has a load strength somewhere in the neighborhood of 450lbs per sq in of adhesive. I can't remember the exact number but that's real close. So a 10 inch bead double up down the length of a 2x4 is going to hold more than any regular bolt. It's not even a fair fight.

Rivnuts get exponentially stronger with washers.
    Great background knowledge man...sorry but either through different nomenclature ‘down under’ or my own ignorance I don’t know what ‘Pl400’ is? I’m guessing either a ‘superglue’ (cyanoacrylate based) or an epoxy type (two tubes of stuff that when mixed together set super strong); but in either case do you know where you found that information? It would be interesting to look at...I’ll give it a Google anyway

Also just as a note...I sort of mentioned above that any ‘fixing system’ is relative to what it is fixing together. Not just the ‘theoretical’ perfect situation. Just IMHO; but in the case of glue on a piece of 90x45 (2 x 4 ) it makes contact with only a small area of each target surface. In a failure load situation the glue may hold fast; but the individual fibres of the wood would rip out of the main piece. I think that particular failure load situation would occur long before a series of bolts that were installed along the length of the wood failed.

Doesn’t matter! I am also wasting time discussing semantics; but regardless I would be interested in where anyone has found load tests on adhesives...? In four years at university (‘college’ in American) for a B Eng (Civil) I never studied adhesives. That could possibly be saying something; but I don’t know everything and I will always ask questions if I don’t.

Peace

2. Back To Top    #32

PL400 is subfloor adhesive made by Loctite. They make 3X and 8X. The 8X seems to be the best all around from most internet testing I've seen.

3. Back To Top    #33

The sika, cibagigie, and 3M two pack adhesives are all similar, and are used structurally for buses, motor homes.
    Probably composite airplane parts use similar gear?

4. Back To Top    #34
    Real Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    2016 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Theslaking View Post
    PL400 is subfloor adhesive made by Loctite. They make 3X and 8X. The 8X seems to be the best all around from most internet testing I've seen.
    Thanks mate, appreciate the notes...Loctite I have heard of and yeah that is tough stuff from my rudimentary knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
    The sika, cibagigie, and 3M two pack adhesives are all similar, and are used structurally for buses, motor homes.
    Probably composite airplane parts use similar gear?
    Come to think of it one adhesive that I did use (well...I didn’t do it but I managed the guys who did!) was Chemset Anchors by Ramset. Not sure if that is going to be French to Americans; but essentially if new concrete was being poured in contact with older concrete a means of ensuring the two separate sections did not ‘laminate’ (or similar) was to drill big ass round bars of steel into the old concrete and use a chemical compound to secure the bar in place. Subsequently the bars would be left sticking out a fair way and the new concrete would be poured surrounding these bars.

Sorry...probably describing something they everyone knows about! However that stuff held
    together insitu formed concrete structures on a dam refurbishment I managed once...some of thdoe
    sections were comfortably 1m thick (3.3 feet).

Never really thought about it - was too busy/stressed doing 80 hour weeks and selling my soul for a paycheque - but I guess there is definitely some extremely strong adhesives out there.

Not really what the OP was after but I appreciate Holmz and Theslaking feeding my curiosity!!

Cheers gents