Thread: Front seat footwell enclosure....

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

Front seat footwell enclosure....

Back at it again with another ask CAJ thread.

I asked about under seat enclosures at one point and quickly realized that I don't have the space nor the desire to cut the floor of a car I technically don't own in my pursuit of midbass response. I broached the subject with my installer/friend/underling and he recommended a footwell enclosure a la ones seen in high end Acura NSX builds or Peter from PSSound builds (like his most recent video with the Utopia in the BMW). I initially balked at the idea because even though it would be passenger side I may periodically ride in the passenger seat if a co-d has to drive my car at some point on a long trip or whatever. I'm coming around to it more because I also realized I don't ride with anyone that often if ever honestly and what do I stand to lose in the long run.

something like this but....different.

What say you folks?

I am trying to figure out how to utilize my Anarchy 7s in my car without tossing them in the rear doors and losing potential quality lower end midbass response. The idea was placing the two of them in the enclosure and powering them with a 2 channel amp.

Lemme know something.

Thanks.
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Front seat footwell enclosure....

it's not all unheard of and makes it easier to highpass-cross the midbasses higher (like 100-120hz) to minimize resonances. gary summers has his front sub play down to like 50hz or so and back sub picks up the bottom octave.

finding enough airspace in the footwell and dash to get down to 20hz easily is tough, usually requiring a bunch of custom work.

i've heard a few front-sub cars that transmit bass to the back so it sounds like it's coming from the back on some frequencies. it can be tricky to tune right and/or bass-trap. i've heard two cars get it right.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
    it's not all unheard of and makes it easier to highpass-cross the midbasses higher (like 100-120hz) to minimize resonances. gary summers has his front sub play down to like 50hz or so and back sub picks up the bottom octave.

finding enough airspace in the footwell and dash to get down to 20hz easily is tough, usually requiring a bunch of custom work.

i've heard a few front-sub cars that transmit bass to the back so it sounds like it's coming from the back on some frequencies. it can be tricky to tune right and/or bass-trap. i've heard two cars get it right.
    Thank you for that. I'm just looking to shore up my midbass section since doors are less than ideal...only need them to play down to 50...up to 200 or so.
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2018 Ford Mustang GT Base 6 speaker set-up

Brian's Mitchell Evil ELR only has a front mounted sub, a 10 IN in a 0.4 CF footwell box, I talk about it just a little here

https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...light=mitchell

I'm sure you can find many detailed write-ups and videos on his build. This is one that I enjoyed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIvTsSsQ_Xo&t=2s
    Finally get to update this, procurement & install planning phase has had some execution happen, procurement is for minor items now. Have Morel MT350 Tweeters & Hybrid MW6 Woofers, AudioControl DM-6.1200 & just added LC.1-800, KnuKoncepts Wiring and distribution, Audiofrog GS12D2 refurb, starting with inexpensive subwoofer enclosure to get everything up and running and let funds replenish some...Funds have replenished and now I am questioning my early DSP/Amp approach decision...

5. Back To Top    #5

brian's car is always a treat. there's an event 2/22 in vacaville if you want to drop by.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    2018 Ford Mustang GT Base 6 speaker set-up

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
    brian's car is always a treat. there's an event 2/22 in vacaville if you want to drop by.
    I wanted to go but its the first weekend my daughter will be home from College since the New Year so I will likely hang around here unless I can get her boyfriend interested, hmm...
    Finally get to update this, procurement & install planning phase has had some execution happen, procurement is for minor items now. Have Morel MT350 Tweeters & Hybrid MW6 Woofers, AudioControl DM-6.1200 & just added LC.1-800, KnuKoncepts Wiring and distribution, Audiofrog GS12D2 refurb, starting with inexpensive subwoofer enclosure to get everything up and running and let funds replenish some...Funds have replenished and now I am questioning my early DSP/Amp approach decision...