Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IB in a hatch, anyone done it? Any reason not to try?

1. Back To Top    #11
    Vehicle
    2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen

Re: IB in a hatch, anyone done it? Any reason not to try?

Quote Originally Posted by BenevolentDictator View Post
    That's crazy...this was your build?! I used to obsess over this trunk and another one that I can't remember how to look it up anymore when i was trying to figure out how to do IB in my last install. Insanity. Small world.
    If you're talking about the pic that I posted, maybe you saw it on DIYMA? I might've posted it as an example there.

Yeah, back in the '90s when I was young and my back didn't hurt (as much), I worked at a high-end audio shop for home/car in Santa Barbara. I was able to buy 4 of the SoundStream 10 limited editions... "The Velvet Hammer", was the marketing tagline, lol. Powered the setup using two SoundStream Reference 500s (1 per sub pair), and two Reference 300s (bi-amped, natch... one for the tweeters and one for the mids). Sounded great, even if I didn't know crap about PLDs etc. at the time. The car was Frankensteins monster by the time it bit the dust in '09. So many cuts in the metal...

/threadjack

"Dubscientist, I get what you mean about the baffle. I wonder if it was due to there being more woofer than baffle, looks like 2 15s, which doesn't leave much actual baffle, if that makes sense?
    I'm prepared to make a baffle as thick/substantial as necessary to make this work, originally thought 3/4" would be sufficient but can easily make that 1 1/4".

Sudoku, yeah, that's exactly what I was getting at, there's more sub than baffle in that install. In your case, I'm sure there's a way to make something work if you don't have the space for a traditional enclosure(s), but it might mean more work. But that can be the fun part, lol.

My current car is a wagon, and the reason I went with enclosures in the side trunk cavities behind the wheel wells is so that I could use the trunk like it was stock: lay down the seats, cargo, etc. It's been lots of work, but it doesn't look like I have 2 15" subs to the casual observer.

Here's a pic of the left side after I got it done:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jetta_Trunk_2sml.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	210.5 KB 
ID:	15219

Otherwise I would've made a big box and called dit a day; would've been MUCH less work!
    Last edited by DubScientist; 02-09-2021 at 04:05 PM.
    HU: Pioneer P99 RS
    Front stage: HAT L1 V2, L3s, L8SEs
    Subs: Image Dynamics IDQ15 D2 v2 in sealed 1.25 cu ft enclosure
    Amps: JL HD 600/4 for tweeters & midrange / JL 600/4 for midbasses (bridged) / JL HD750/1 for subs

2. Back To Top    #12
    Vehicle
    Nissan N16

Envious of the space you have for not 1, but 2 15s! Looks great, and very stock. Amp rack looks sweet too

I did try a FG enclosure molded to fit the right side wheel arch, but space is so limited that the max volume whilst not encroaching on the trunk space ended up around 0.75 cubic. OK for a 10, but didn't give low extension, plus mounting depth for the sub was quite limited.

More work to achieve a decent outcome is fine, I've been sub-less for 5 years so hopefully it is worthwhile.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Quote Originally Posted by Sudoku View Post
    Yeah, true So the Verso is no good for audio? I quite like the Cube though, but import only here. Is it the same in Norway?
    Well, it's the worst of the worst when it comes to a starting point, thin metal and hard plastic all around. It's so flimsy and rattly, more so than even 80s japanese cars.

This is a well-damped door (inner skin, outer skin and rear of door card, even sealed all around the plastic parts - door pocket is a separate piece from the actual door card), with the mids playing freely (large cutouts around them). And still huge amounts of resonance from the doors. Even the sheet metal in the inner door is so thin, that when you shut the door, the whole speaker assembly/mount flexed at least half a centimeter That project was a lost cause, and "un"fortunately the car got rear ended and totaled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzLCCyX4lLo

I did try though
    https://youtu.be/Wu4k2Em49do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWl77SMhM-E

Never documented that car well, but it went from this:

Name:	IMG_4960_zps6a1a2173.jpg.ee4eca226b481aaf7fbf68b06658416b.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	15223
    To this in the time I owned it:

Name:	20150904_153018_zpstuqtvz8g.jpg.2405df8c4c856eecaf73ffdd81079e3a.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	242.6 KB 
ID:	15224

Name:	20160211_170639_zpszimq4mkm.jpg.3110e1646101c0528c421e14a7a593cf.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	15226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151218_142758_zpsptuenkzn.jpg.3300c22634c429f32007bc1004a7f52d.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	222.6 KB 
ID:	15225

Got rear ended, and used the insurance payout to get the Cube That one is imported yes, from Germany. Only Cube in Norway.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Vehicle
    2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen

Envious of the space you have for not 1, but 2 15s! Looks great, and very stock. Amp rack looks sweet too

I did try a FG enclosure molded to fit the right side wheel arch, but space is so limited that the max volume whilst not encroaching on the trunk space ended up around 0.75 cubic. OK for a 10, but didn't give low extension, plus mounting depth for the sub was quite limited.

More work to achieve a decent outcome is fine, I've been sub-less for 5 years so hopefully it is worthwhile.
    I feel your pain. I installed the sound deadener in 2010, but had the gear for my system sitting in boxes since then, and was forced to listen to the crappy VW stock system (with mids firing into my hip, FFS ) in my Jetta before I had time to actually installed the HU, amps and front stage at the start of last year. I only got my subs installed last summer. I can't believe how much I missed the impact.

Life (& running my business) got in the way. It happens!

Haakano, nice work on modding that Verso. I've always liked systems from the EU and elsewhere that're in small cars. Cabin gain must be intense; you're practically sitting on the subwoofer in some of the microcar designs!
    HU: Pioneer P99 RS
    Front stage: HAT L1 V2, L3s, L8SEs
    Subs: Image Dynamics IDQ15 D2 v2 in sealed 1.25 cu ft enclosure
    Amps: JL HD 600/4 for tweeters & midrange / JL 600/4 for midbasses (bridged) / JL HD750/1 for subs

5. Back To Top    #15
    Vehicle
    Nissan N16

Quote Originally Posted by Haakono View Post
    Well, it's the worst of the worst when it comes to a starting point, thin metal and hard plastic all around. It's so flimsy and rattly, more so than even 80s japanese cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzLCCyX4lLo

I did try though
    https://youtu.be/Wu4k2Em49do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWl77SMhM-E

Wow! My Nissan doors were similar, and after plenty of Dynamat, foam, and resin to stop door panel rattles it is OK, but not as bad as the Verso.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle
    Nissan N16

Clearly, if doing an IB, I will need a sub. Research has yielded no hard and fast rules for a suitable driver, plus subs that are often used IB in the USA are not always so readily available in the UK.

This is from a brand I have heard of, but have no experience of: https://gladenmosconi.co.uk/product/...-air-subwoofer

The data sheet lists most of the main TS parameters, but not XMAX... Does anyone have any thoughts on using this sub in approx. 300-350 litres of trunk space?

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

The price on that one makes it very tempting just to try ^^^
    Are you not entertained?!?!

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Howard
    Vehicle
    Gonzo the Yota 3.0

That looks... Solid! So.

Chefhow, was this vented to the exterior of the car through the floor? I understand that can give very impressive results.
    If it does vent to the outside world, how audible is it from outside? Such as, if you were stopped in traffic would pedestrians be easily able to hear it?

Also, am I right in thinking Scion is a Toyota subsidiary? We don't get them in the UK, sadly.
    Thanks, it was a BEAST!!

There was a literal 15" hole cut in the floor of the car and the baffle was attached with 1 layer on the outside that was .75" thick and 7 layers on the inside. The sub was sandwiched in between layers 3 and 4.
    It was a visceral type of bass that was felt down to 14hz with authority. The seats would ripple from pipe organ music like you were riding a wave, it was an experience. Pedestrians would not only hear it if I was playing it at volume but they would feel it as well.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Vehicle
    Nissan N16

Quote Originally Posted by chefhow View Post

It was a visceral type of bass that was felt down to 14hz with authority. The seats would ripple...
    Possibly the best description of sub bass I've ever heard

I'd like to try the hole to the outside method 1 day, but the current vehicle won't allow that AND keeping the spare wheel.

Chithead, I think you are right, its worth trying at that price. The only other 15 I can find for similar £/$ is the JL 15W0v3, which I'm sure is great in the correct enclosure, but not sure how it would behave in my planned application.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Vehicle
    Nissan N16

Next question :

Can I realistically model what I'm trying to do in WINISD? Let me supplement that question by adding that I've only tried the software a couple of times, and am still learning it. Any pointers would be gratefully received.