Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IB in a hatch, anyone done it? Any reason not to try?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    Nissan N16

IB in a hatch, anyone done it? Any reason not to try?

Hello all, as per the thread title, has anyone tried running a form of infinite baffle in a hatchback? If so, how was it? Pros & cons?

I reason that if the boot/trunk has solid ply or mdf panels built for the seat back, sides, and floor, then the cabin can be effectively sealed from the luggage compartment. A new parcel shelf/ baffle to mount the sub(s) would be constructed to replace the original, and this would be sealed to the new side and real panels, plus some form of gasket to seal it to the hatch door itself.

I know that for true IB, there should be a hole cut in the trunk to the outside world, but that isn't realistic to achieve whilst keeping spare tyre, tool kit etc.

Current thinking is to use 1x 15", or 2x 12", or even 3x 10". There seems to be no definitive set of parameters for the ideal IB sub, all I have found is that displacement and xmax are key, and to aim for the trunk have at least 3x VAS for it to work.

Car is a Nissan Almera, which for those of you in the US is a small hatchback, similar in size to a early 2000s Honda Civic or VW Golf. Trunk space is approx. 300 litres/10.5 cuft once the above mentioned panels have been installed.

Eager to hear your thoughts.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: IB in a hatch, anyone done it? Any reason not to try?

Seen it done in a V-Dub:

Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

When I read this, I was thinking about Andy's car, but couldn't find any images

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen

From my understanding, IB doesn't always need to vent to the outside, especially if the air space you're using is large enough. My last car ('93 Civic sedan) had 4 SoundStream SS10 Limited 10"s in IB using my trunk (two firing up through the rear deck, two firing through the back seat), and it was a big effort to keep everything sealed off from the cabin. It was essentially using the trunk as a large enclosure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IB_subs.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	845.5 KB 
ID:	15215

Maybe I went a bit overboard, but there were holes & gaps everywhere that needed to be filled (I used spray foam on the large gaps and silicone on the small seal gaps). It was hammer time.

Unless it's really sealed well from the cabin, I can't see it performing as well as a traditional IB setup using a trunk as the enclosure.

In know it's not your car, but the baffle on the VW in the post above just doesn't look beefy enough for those 15"s IMO. might be the angle of the shot, but the baffle looks a bit warped, and I can't imagine the bracing is sufficient, unless it's hidden from view.

I had a sandwich of 3/4" MDF with deadener in between for the baffle in my Civic; I could make the car move when I grabbed the baffle. Like I said, maybe I went overboard, but damn it dug deep and made my steering wheel flex.

I'm using sealed boxes for the 15's in my current car, and made the enclosures out of sculptural concrete (no rattles, baby!)

post edited for content
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IB_subs.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	15214  
    Last edited by DubScientist; 02-09-2021 at 08:50 AM.
    HU: Pioneer P99 RS
    Front stage: HAT L1 V2, L3s, L8SEs
    Subs: Image Dynamics IDQ15 D2 v2 in sealed 1.25 cu ft enclosure
    Amps: JL HD 600/4 for tweeters & midrange / JL 600/4 for midbasses (bridged) / JL HD750/1 for subs

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

That's crazy...this was your build?! I used to obsess over this trunk and another one that I can't remember how to look it up anymore when i was trying to figure out how to do IB in my last install. Insanity. Small world.
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Howard
    Vehicle
    Gonzo the Yota 3.0

Name:	IB Sub 2.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	15217

Why yes I have. Thru the floor of a Scion xB

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    Nissan N16

Great to see some real world applications, thanks everyone!

That VW is what I was envisaging doing, but with a single 15, or 2x 12s.

Dubscientist, I get what you mean about the baffle. I wonder if it was due to there being more woofer than baffle, looks like 2 15s, which doesn't leave much actual baffle, if that makes sense?
    I'm prepared to make a baffle as thick/substantial as necessary to make this work, originally thought 3/4" would be sufficient but can easily make that 1 1/4".

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    Nissan N16

Quote Originally Posted by chefhow View Post

Name:	IB Sub 2.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	15217

Why yes I have. Thru the floor of a Scion xB
    That looks... Solid! So.

Chefhow, was this vented to the exterior of the car through the floor? I understand that can give very impressive results.
    If it does vent to the outside world, how audible is it from outside? Such as, if you were stopped in traffic would pedestrians be easily able to hear it?

Also, am I right in thinking Scion is a Toyota subsidiary? We don't get them in the UK, sadly.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

You get the Yaris Verso though, built on the same platform as a Scion xB. Wouldn't recommend a Verso for car audio though (speaking from experience)

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    Nissan N16

Quote Originally Posted by Haakono View Post
    You get the Yaris Verso though, built on the same platform as a Scion xB. Wouldn't recommend a Verso for car audio though (speaking from experience)
    Yeah, true So the Verso is no good for audio? I quite like the Cube though, but import only here. Is it the same in Norway?