Thread: SB Acoustics' SB23NACS45-8 8" Woofer

1. Back To Top    #1

SB Acoustics' SB23NACS45-8 8" Woofer

Upon looking for some 8" options for a DIY design and posting these as a possibility, I was informed Revel is likely using the drivers (with some tweaks, obviously) in their F208.
    So, I ordered up a set and just wrapped up some small and large signal testing of the SB23NACS45-8.

Mfg site:
    SB Acoustics :: 8" SB23NACS45-8

My data here:
    http://medleysmusings.com/sb23nacs45-8/

The data isn't quite what I was hoping for *for my intended application*. I was hoping for some more linearity here, to eek some more output. That said, without the offsets, you might get 1mm more in linear excursion and if the suspension was more symmetrical, it would give you possibly 0.5mm more. So, there's not a huge gain there.

Looking at the FR posted by SB on their site, combined with my measured T/S and the fact there is a shorting ring used here (which will help knock down higher frequency intermodulated distortion) it looks to me this was designed more with 2-way use in mind rather than solely as a dedicated midbass. Using (2) of these, like the F208 does certainly helps in terms of output.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: SB Acoustics' SB23NACS45-8 8" Woofer

If nothing else, they look pretty

Thanks for posting your findings

3. Back To Top    #3

really, from what I'm seeing, I think they'd be a good driver for 2-way. looks like the breakup is well maintained from the mfg specs which is more important in a 2-way. if you want to use them as a dedicated midbass, there are other options in terms of excursion. for my DIY speaker needs, I won't write them off completely because I'd be using 2 of them and the price is right. but I'm going to keep looking at my options.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

I'm seriously considering their 6.5's for the Civ' and their tweets (NVX variants of both) so pleased to see even their 8's could pull off a 2-way.

Yep I'm in here now also.
    Nice test blog you have also. Had to donate to your cause.
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did