Thread: Under seat enclosures.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

Under seat enclosures.

I've seen a few builds on here that have either referenced them, suggested them or put them into practice.

It has crossed my mind that this is something I may want to attempt given that I am not in a position to run my midbass in kick panels due to a lack of space with my stature. Upon further reading about midbass null and how doors are far from ideal in mostly every situation unless you are skilled enough to slice your door up and rebuild it with top notch enclosures, I've become....concerned...about that need not being met in my upcoming build.

All of that being said, I thought a clever idea would be to attempt to run either my AD w800 neos in enclosures under both seats or my Anarchy 7s that I now have no place to use them with confidence.

My questions are many but I'll reduce them to a couple to get the ball rolling and ANY and ALL input is welcome if well intended.

1. Where should I cross everything if I'm able to pull this off? I mean from top to bottom....what makes the most sense for crossover points?

2. How have they sounded when/if you've ever experienced anyone running this setup?

3. If I run the 7s underneath and the neos in my door....is that a way I could possibly circumvent some issues that may arise or is it potentially running into more issues?

Thanks in advance.
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Re: Under seat enclosures.

I know some BMW OEM system have shallow mounted midbass drivers under the seats. I have not however heard one.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm running Silver Flute 6.5's in small ported enclosures under my seats (page 2 of build log here to see them) https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...le-Build/page2

I was curious to try this because I was getting major 120hz cancellations in my doors, and the outside plastic door handles would buzz no matter what I tried. I was also intrigued by how well the 'Flutes modelled (~0.15 cu.ft, tuned to 70hz, 2" port). Low group delay, very efficient and crossed at 75hz they theoretically won't hit xmax until 200-ish watts.

Here's my subjective answers to your questions:
    1: I wouldn't plan to cross them over much higher than 180hz or so (I'm currently at 170, 24db LR). Higher than that, for me it starts to negatively affect the soundstage and gets a little muddy. You will want a midrange that can handle crossing that low.
    Bottom crossover will depend more on which specific drivers you're running, their enclosure size and your preferences. I'm crossed at 74hz 24db LR.

2: In my case, I have much better midbass impact than I did in the doors, with fewer cancellations. The high-tuned ported 'Flutes have a bit of a PA-style sound to them, very snappy. I think because they're so efficient and I'm not playing them that low, you don't really "feel" them under you like you'd expect. They don't stage quite as nicely as my door midbasses did, the bass isn't as far in front of you. They blend with the sub surprisingly well. They do have a peak around 112hz that I have to tame with EQ (my doors also had a peak in this range, but it wasn't nearly as strong).

3: I'm a little confused by this question. I wouldn't run the Anarchy's under the seats and the WD800NEOs in the doors at the same time if that's what your asking. I'm guessing the Anarchies will work in a small enclosure, but they're very deep so they may not fit under your seats. I don't know what the WD800NEO's want for an enclosure. Some folks have cut holes in the floor of the car to make infinite baffle enclosures for their underseat midbasses.

I should mention, I'm not a mega-sq guy. I like fun, punchy, dynamic and non-fatiguing sound in a moving car, with a nod towards sq.
    '18 VW Golf Sportwagen 4motion 6MT. Hiby RS6 to Helix DSP.3 (Balanced Analog). Amps: Biketronics BT4210 (210 x 4 mids/tweets), Biketronics BT3725 (250 x 2 midbasses, 700 x 1 sub). Mids: Satori MW13P-4 5" (Factory Door Locations). Tweets: Bliesma T25S-6 Silk-Dome 1" (Modded Factory A-Pillar Locations). Midbasses: Dayton Designer DSA175-8 6.5" in Ported Underseat Enclosures. Subs: 2 x Scanspeak Discovery 10" in Underfloor Sealed Enclosure.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

I appreciate the input....you did answer all of my questions and to #3 yeah that's what I was getting at. I quickly realized in my scanning under my seats that the Anarchies won't fit anyway because of the very thing you just mentioned. I won't be cutting into my car so I can't run them IB....I will follow up though by asking why wouldn't you run both sets of speakers at the same time in that configuration? What do you think the negative effects may be?

Quote Originally Posted by goatpanda View Post
    I'm running Silver Flute 6.5's in small ported enclosures under my seats (page 2 of build log here to see them) https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...le-Build/page2

I was curious to try this because I was getting major 120hz cancellations in my doors, and the outside plastic door handles would buzz no matter what I tried. I was also intrigued by how well the 'Flutes modelled (~0.15 cu.ft, tuned to 70hz, 2" port). Low group delay, very efficient and crossed at 75hz they theoretically won't hit xmax until 200-ish watts.

Here's my subjective answers to your questions:
    1: I wouldn't plan to cross them over much higher than 180hz or so (I'm currently at 170, 24db LR). Higher than that, for me it starts to negatively affect the soundstage and gets a little muddy. You will want a midrange that can handle crossing that low.
    Bottom crossover will depend more on which specific drivers you're running, their enclosure size and your preferences. I'm crossed at 74hz 24db LR.

2: In my case, I have much better midbass impact than I did in the doors, with fewer cancellations. The high-tuned ported 'Flutes have a bit of a PA-style sound to them, very snappy. I think because they're so efficient and I'm not playing them that low, you don't really "feel" them under you like you'd expect. They don't stage quite as nicely as my door midbasses did, the bass isn't as far in front of you. They blend with the sub surprisingly well. They do have a peak around 112hz that I have to tame with EQ (my doors also had a peak in this range, but it wasn't nearly as strong).

3: I'm a little confused by this question. I wouldn't run the Anarchy's under the seats and the WD800NEOs in the doors at the same time if that's what your asking. I'm guessing the Anarchies will work in a small enclosure, but they're very deep so they may not fit under your seats. I don't know what the WD800NEO's want for an enclosure. Some folks have cut holes in the floor of the car to make infinite baffle enclosures for their underseat midbasses.

I should mention, I'm not a mega-sq guy. I like fun, punchy, dynamic and non-fatiguing sound in a moving car, with a nod towards sq.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you have bad phase from the door adding another driver with good phase to it doesn’t mean the door won’t still have bad phase, more good on top of crap is still crap in other words, the only thing you could do is play the doors in there nice phase area above the underseats and cross the underseats at 160-170 and then get the doors playing 160-170 upwards

but you’d have to get the phase/timing nailed on to get it to work without the stage pulling down to one or the other!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

That clears things up a bit more...thanks dumdum

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    If you have bad phase from the door adding another driver with good phase to it doesn’t mean the door won’t still have bad phase, more good on top of crap is still crap in other words, the only thing you could do is play the doors in there nice phase area above the underseats and cross the underseats at 160-170 and then get the doors playing 160-170 upwards

but you’d have to get the phase/timing nailed on to get it to work without the stage pulling down to one or the other!