Thread: Helix Pro Mk2 DSP Tuning and Microphone

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    2017 Toyota Tundra SR5

Re: Helix Pro Mk2 DSP Tuning and Microphone

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Most likely a phase issue or you don't have a target issue. You should start by learning how to measure your system and use Justin Zazzi's REW tuning companion to hit your target curve or put one into the Helix RTA and make sure you are hitting your targets.

A great source for starting is using the Audiofrog Tuning Guide. Start there. Follow it step by step and don't change a thing about the steps or include anything else into it. Tune your system using just that guide. Then, and only once you fully understand what that guide is doing and how it works, go farther down the rabbit hole.
    Will do! I read through that guide a while back (before i installed everything). Sounds like i need to go back through it again step by step.
    That Justin Zazzi's REW Tuning Companion is super cool!

2. Back To Top    #22
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by danimal86 View Post
    Will do! I read through that guide a while back (before i installed everything). Sounds like i need to go back through it again step by step.
    That Justin Zazzi's REW Tuning Companion is super cool!
    Yes, that can generate your target curves that Andy says to use in the guide. It isn't changing any part of his process, just giving a little more detailed target curve.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    2017 Toyota Tundra SR5

Yes, that can generate your target curves that Andy says to use in the guide. It isn't changing any part of his process, just giving a little more detailed target curve.
    So i re-downloaded the AudioFrog guide, and got up to the point where i need to figure out the target sound curve and stopped. I'm starting to fill in the info on Jazzi's companion, for the values for the SW (might be a dumb question), but should i just use values for a single subwoofer? I'm running two in a ported enclosure (there is a divider in the box to keep each sub separate from each other).

Its storming like a mofo right now, so not going to attempt to hook up the microphone until it settles down.
    2017 Toyota Tundra SR5, Kenwood DMX1037s, JL Fix86, Helix DSP Pro Mk2, 2 JL HD900/5, AudioFrog G60S & GS25 (front active) JL C5-650 (rear passive) 2 JL 10Tw3d4 in ported box.

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

So i re-downloaded the AudioFrog guide, and got up to the point where i need to figure out the target sound curve and stopped. I'm starting to fill in the info on Jazzi's companion, for the values for the SW (might be a dumb question), but should i just use values for a single subwoofer? I'm running two in a ported enclosure (there is a divider in the box to keep each sub separate from each other).

Its storming like a mofo right now, so not going to attempt to hook up the microphone until it settles down.
    You will want all similar speakers matching the target curve if that is what you mean. Doesn't matter how many you have, you could have 100 subs, they will still all need to hit that same target curve.

If you mean actually tuning your subs, Sub frequencies can be tuned together, really up to the transition (Schroeder) frequency could be. I normally just link my subs and sometimes even link my midwoofers in my 3 way just to see what it sounds like. Honestly I can't tell that much of a difference even with the midwoofers.

I got the idea for linking midwoofers from ErinH. I wouldn't suggest that for a 2 way as the woofers will play too high, but mine only play up to 350hz and the transition frequency is usually right around 300hz of most cars.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    2017 Toyota Tundra SR5

You will want all similar speakers matching the target curve if that is what you mean. Doesn't matter how many you have, you could have 100 subs, they will still all need to hit that same target curve.

If you mean actually tuning your subs, Sub frequencies can be tuned together, really up to the transition (Schroeder) frequency could be. I normally just link my subs (sometimes even link my midwoofers in my 3 way just to see what it sounds like).

I got the idea for linking midwoofers from ErinH. I wouldn't suggest that for a 2 way as the woofers will play too high, but mine only play up to 350hz and the transition frequency is usually right around 300hz of most cars.
    i wasn't sure about the "amplifier power available" on Jazzi's sheet. Each sub is powered off its own amplifier (well, the mono ch of a 5ch amp), so not sure if i should use the power values for 1 amp or both combined.

just for ref, i'm running: Audiofrog G60S (active) with Audiofrog GS25 (active) in the front, JL C5-650 (passive) in the rear, and 2 JL 10tw3d4's in a ported box. All being powered by 2 JL HD900/5's and the Helix Pro MK2. I've got the SW output on the helix split and goes to each amp.
    2017 Toyota Tundra SR5, Kenwood DMX1037s, JL Fix86, Helix DSP Pro Mk2, 2 JL HD900/5, AudioFrog G60S & GS25 (front active) JL C5-650 (rear passive) 2 JL 10Tw3d4 in ported box.

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

i wasn't sure about the "amplifier power available" on Jazzi's sheet. Each sub is powered off its own amplifier (well, the mono ch of a 5ch amp), so not sure if i should use the power values for 1 amp or both combined.

just for ref, i'm running: Audiofrog G60S (active) with Audiofrog GS25 (active) in the front, JL C5-650 (passive) in the rear, and 2 JL 10tw3d4's in a ported box. All being powered by 2 JL HD900/5's and the Helix Pro MK2. I've got the SW output on the helix split and goes to each amp.

You can set whatever crossover frequency you want, that calculation just gives you basically the minimum you should ever set based on T/S parameters, which change as soon as you put anything inside of any container. I wouldn't worry too much about using that.

Set your sub to midwoofer crossover about 80hz-100hz. Set your midwoofer to gs25 around 350-400hz. 350-400hz because that is about 2x the fs of the gs25 and your gs60's will have no problem playing up to that. I'd personally set it at 400hz.

So in Justin's 2 way crossover sheet

sub 0-80hz

Midbass 80-400

Tweeter 400

Edit* You still want your subs to play to 20hz, but make sure to set protection on them since they are ported in the dsp as a subsonic filter.
    Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 01-27-2021 at 11:16 AM.

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    2017 Toyota Tundra SR5

You can set whatever crossover frequency you want, that calculation just gives you basically the minimum you should ever set based on T/S parameters, which change as soon as you put anything inside of any container. I wouldn't worry too much about using that.

Set your sub to midwoofer crossover about 80hz-100hz. Set your midwoofer to gs25 around 350-400hz. 350-400hz because that is about 2x the fs of the gs25 and your gs60's will have no problem playing up to that. I'd personally set it at 400hz.

So in Justin's 2 way crossover sheet

sub 0-80hz

Midbass 80-400

Tweeter 400
    Thanks!
    So i should use the 2 way curves tab not the 3 way?

Here's what i've got so far:
    SW:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jazzi's SW.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	227.3 KB 
ID:	15141

2way:

Name:	Jazzi's 2 way.JPG 
Views:	179 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	15142

3way

Name:	Jazzi's 3 way.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	15143

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Thanks!
    So i should use the 2 way curves tab not the 3 way?

Here's what i've got so far:
    SW:

Name:	Jazzi's SW.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	227.3 KB 
ID:	15141

2way:

Name:	Jazzi's 2 way.JPG 
Views:	179 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	15142

3way

Name:	Jazzi's 3 way.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	15143
    You only have 2 speakers up front right? The gs60 and gs25? You don't have a 3 way so don't use that, you have a 2 way.

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    2017 Toyota Tundra SR5

You only have 2 speakers up front right? The gs60 and gs25? You don't have a 3 way so don't use that, you have a 2 way.
    Sorry, i should have mentioned that. the G60S (not the gs60) are a passive component set that i ditched the passive crossovers and went active with them and added the 2.5" gs25 to them for a 3-way (giggity)
    i reached out to audiofrog and asked them if it would work, or if i should just sell the G60S's and get separates GS or GB series and he said it would be fine to do it.
    Last edited by danimal86; 01-27-2021 at 11:50 AM.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Ah in that case,

The above still applies

sub 0-80hz

Midbass 80-400

Midrange 400-3000 (2x fs of tweeter = 3000hz)

Tweeter 3000hz