Thread: Helix Pro Mk2 DSP Tuning and Microphone

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: Helix Pro Mk2 DSP Tuning and Microphone

Quote Originally Posted by danimal86 View Post
    I guess i can just overwrite the cal.txt file with the umik-1 file.
    Attachment 15134
    Yes, do this. Keep it all. That sensitivity data allows the microphone to actually be used as a semi decent SPL meter.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    2017 Toyota Tundra SR5

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Yes, do this. Keep it all. That sensitivity data allows the microphone to actually be used as a semi decent SPL meter.
    Thanks! I'll fix that!
    I'm going to pic dump my helix settings and see if anyone has any input.
    Here's my setup:
    Toyota Tundra Crewmax
    Factory Stereo
    JL Fix86
    Helix Pro Mk2
    2 JL HD9005
    Front Doors: Audio frog G60S (active) and GS25's
    Rear Doors: JL C5-650 (passive)
    Subs: 2 JL 10tw3d4 in a ported box
    All doors and rear panel is sound deadened. Door speakers have foam cups with furniture stuffing in them, and speed rings stuck to the front of the speakers.

I'm using an rca splitter to split the SW signal from the helix and going to both the 5ch amps s/w inputs, i'm not sure what i should do with the IO for the SW channel.

IO
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IO.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	15135

Front Highs

Name:	Front Highs.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	15136

Front Mids

Name:	Front Mids.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	15137

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    2017 Toyota Tundra SR5

Front Lows

Name:	Front Lows.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	210.7 KB 
ID:	15138

Rear Full

Name:	Rear full.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	208.7 KB 
ID:	15139

Subs

Name:	Subs.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	208.7 KB 
ID:	15140

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Doug Dobson
    Vehicle
    2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Jeep JK, 2005 VW Touareg, 2012 Kia Optima SX, 1992 Jeep YJ, 1999 Silverado, 1992

Why the Fix 86?
    Doug Dobson

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    2017 Toyota Tundra SR5

Quote Originally Posted by dobslob View Post
    Why the Fix 86?
    I had it installed when the system was just a single HD900/5 two sets of components and the subs. A shop that i bought all my equipment from that specializes in tundra stereos, said to keep it as a pre-amp. From what i've heard, it does a good job at flattening the factory stereo's sound curve.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Looks like a good start. Plenty of threads on here though discussing electrical crossovers vs acoustic crossovers so read up on those.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    2017 Toyota Tundra SR5

Looks like a good start. Plenty of threads on here though discussing electrical crossovers vs acoustic crossovers so read up on those.
    Thanks! I'm trying to absorb as much info as i can. This is the first time i've used a real DSP.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Thanks! I'm trying to absorb as much info as i can. This is the first time i've used a real DSP.
    You mean one that you have easier control over. Most DSP's use only a couple of different actual chips. The company that implements (Helix, minidsp, rockford, jl, Kicker, Ford, GM, Toyota, etc) just allow for varying degrees of user control. All have very similar capabilities though. And yes, even OEM's use those same chips, but they just usually give you basic bass, mid, treble and fader controls.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    2017 Toyota Tundra SR5

You mean one that you have easier control over. Most DSP's use only a couple of different actual chips. The company that implements (Helix, minidsp, rockford, jl, Kicker, Ford, GM, Toyota, etc) just allow for varying degrees of user control. All have very similar capabilities though. And yes, even OEM's use those same chips, but they just usually give you basic bass, mid, treble and fader controls.
    Thats what i meant by a real dsp. I guess i should have said a more in depth dsp.

Im want to figure out why my subs dont seems like they are quite putting out enough bass. When a good song comes on and i really want to thump it, it just seems like its not all there. I've got the amps set so they should be outputting the max rms for the subs, and if i want it to really thump, i'd have the bass knob all the way up on the URC-3 and i feel like it should be more. Any thoughts on what i can do. Should i just start adjusting the gain on the helix for the SW?

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Thats what i meant by a real dsp. I guess i should have said a more in depth dsp.

Im want to figure out why my subs dont seems like they are quite putting out enough bass. When a good song comes on and i really want to thump it, it just seems like its not all there. I've got the amps set so they should be outputting the max rms for the subs, and if i want it to really thump, i'd have the bass knob all the way up on the URC-3 and i feel like it should be more. Any thoughts on what i can do. Should i just start adjusting the gain on the helix for the SW?

Most likely a phase issue or you don't have a target issue. You should start by learning how to measure your system and use Justin Zazzi's REW tuning companion to hit your target curve or put one into the Helix RTA and make sure you are hitting your targets.

A great source for starting is using the Audiofrog Tuning Guide. Start there. Follow it step by step and don't change a thing about the steps or include anything else into it. Tune your system using just that guide. Then, and only once you fully understand what that guide is doing and how it works, go farther down the rabbit hole.
    Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 01-26-2021 at 11:22 AM.