Thread: Helix Pro Mk2 DSP Tuning and Microphone

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    2017 Toyota Tundra SR5

Helix Pro Mk2 DSP Tuning and Microphone

Hey Everyone
    Thanks for having me, i was lurking over on diyma and decided to try it out over here.
    I'll be finishing my install tomorrow and i should have my miniDSP UMIK-1 microphone delivered this weekend. I tried searching around but couldn't find out if i can use the rta funcion on the MK2 with the UMIK-1? My laptop (microsoft surface) only has one usb port, so i would have to use a usb hub.

Also, does anyone know why @skizeR video on using the auto tune function is set to private? Wouldn't mind watching it and trying it out.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Helix Pro Mk2 DSP Tuning and Microphone

You can use a umik-1 with helix software, You also can add your calibration files to the helix software also, I think nock has covered it in a video at some point also...

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    2017 Toyota Tundra SR5

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    You can use a umik-1 with helix software, You also can add your calibration files to the helix software also, I think nock has covered it in a video at some point also...
    Thanks! I'll poke around and see if i can find the video.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Quote Originally Posted by danimal86 View Post
    Also, does anyone know why @skizeR video on using the auto tune function is set to private? Wouldn't mind watching it and trying it out. Dan
    If i remember correctly, he had recently stated in a video interview/show that he is in the mist of redoing his site and he is not a fan of the image his current YTube videos portray so he wants to redo them, so in the meantime he set all of his current stuff to private

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    2017 Toyota Tundra SR5

Quote Originally Posted by Cutaway View Post
    If i remember correctly, he had recently stated in a video interview/show that he is in the mist of redoing his site and he is not a fan of the image his current YTube videos portray so he wants to redo them, so in the meantime he set all of his current stuff to private
    Thanks for the info.
    Anyone have a breakdown of how to use the autoEQ? From what from what I've read on here, it sounds like it works really well, which is great for me because I have no clue when it comes to tuning.

As far as the umik-1, I'll need to copy the values from the mic's calibration file to the one on the mk2? Do I have to do it manually or is there an easier way?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    2017 Toyota Tundra SR5

So i've got everything installed and figured out the IO for the helix. Got some baseline numbers for the crossovers.
    I got my umik-1 ready and want to try some of the auto features.

To load my calibration, i downloaded it from miniDSP, and i found a "cal.txt" in the helix software folder on the c drive. I just copy over the values from my microphone? The mic calibration file had a ton of data, i just grabbed the one closest to the cal file on the helix. is what i did correct?

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    2017 Toyota Tundra SR5

So i rigged up my microphone and got it connected. I attempted to use the auto time alignment function, but it didn't really work. It kept on failing when doing the rear speakers (the rears are passive components if that matters). The rears did seem quieter than the rest, so maybe i need to bump up the gain.

I disabled the auto time measurement for the rears, and was able to get it to finish. I back checked the measurements with a tape measure, and seemed like the measurements were switched Left to Right. I ended up just scrapping the auto and used the tape measure and plugged in the measurements.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    2017 Toyota Tundra SR5

So i rigged up my microphone and got it connected. I attempted to use the auto time alignment function, but it didn't really work. It kept on failing when doing the rear speakers (the rears are passive components if that matters). The rears did seem quieter than the rest, so maybe i need to bump up the gain.

I disabled the auto time measurement for the rears, and was able to get it to finish. I back checked the measurements with a tape measure, and seemed like the measurements were switched Left to Right. I ended up just scrapping the auto and used the tape measure and plugged in the measurements.
    I think i may have figured out why it wasn't picking up the passenger door speakers. For some reason the gain was tuned down on the helix for the rears. I'll need to hook up the mic again and see how it works.

9. Back To Top    #9

So i've got everything installed and figured out the IO for the helix. Got some baseline numbers for the crossovers.
    I got my umik-1 ready and want to try some of the auto features.

To load my calibration, i downloaded it from miniDSP, and i found a "cal.txt" in the helix software folder on the c drive. I just copy over the values from my microphone? The mic calibration file had a ton of data, i just grabbed the one closest to the cal file on the helix. is what i did correct?
    When you say you grabbed the one closest?? You need to copy and paste all the data from the mics calibration file (90 degree or 0 degree depending on if you are pointing the mic up or forwards) into the cal file in helix, not part of it
    Last edited by dumdum; 01-26-2021 at 01:33 AM.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    2017 Toyota Tundra SR5

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    When you say you grabbed the one closest?? You need to copy and paste all the data from the mics calibration file (90 degree or 0 degree depending on if you are pointing the mic up or forwards) into the cal file in helix, not part of it
    Thanks dumdum! I did not grab ALL the values, i only used the ones that had a "0.0" value on the Cal.txt within the helix software, i thought it was more of a template that you filled in...i guess not. I will fix that today. There is also some information at the top of the umik-1 cal file ("Sens Factor =2.8694dB, AGain =18dB, SERNO: 7071043""Auto-generated 90-degree calibration file") do i include those as well? I guess i can just overwrite the cal.txt file with the umik-1 file.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calibration.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	15134