Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REW Acoustical crossover points and target levels

1. Back To Top    #1

REW Acoustical crossover points and target levels

After reading the forum post on here related to Electrical and Acoustical crossovers I have decided to revisit REW and try tuning again. When I starting working with the midrange speakers I realized I was once again confused. On my right midrange if I choose a target level of 80db (Second pic) my acoustical crossover lines up but I am boosting several frequencies to meet curve. If I lower the target level to 73db I am no longer boosting but rather cutting frequencies to meet the target curve but my acoustical phase is toast:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MIDRANGE RGHT 73DB.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	15098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MIDRANGE RGHT 80db.JPG 
Views:	209 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	15099

The question: Is is ok to lower the db to 73 and then adjust electrical crossovers to better meet the curve? I would then need to level match with the other mid which will also have another target level.

I appreciate any help and thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: REW Acoustical crossover points and target levels

What do you mean by your acoustical phase is toast?

3. Back To Top    #3

You can do either... I prefer to put the curve in the middle of both and play with crossovers to beat match the curve so you get a little boost and a little cut, you can set your amps up to clip with a test tone at the highest point of boost if you wish after... regardless of boost or cut, as long as you allow for it with levels your fine

A full range signal with a 0db level and cut 6db at 1khz and it’s the exact same result as getting the same signal at -6db and boosting everything by 6db except 1khz... no more or less distortion, hence why I prefer to go in the middle, so in your case 77db and cutting and boosting a little of both

4. Back To Top    #4
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hcwlsu101 View Post
    If I lower the target level to 73db I am no longer boosting but rather cutting frequencies to meet the target curve but my acoustical phase is toast
    I also don't understand what you mean by acoustical phase being toast.

I'm with dumdum. If you can get the correct shape then it doesn't matter too much where that shape is on the vertical scale. The shape is king, not the overall loudness.

If 80dB is too much and 73dB is too little you could always try something in the middle like .... 77dB? It's not critical which number you choose, but it's really convenient if you use the same number for all of your speakers so they are level-matched to eachother.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

First figure out what can be safely boosted and fixed with eq. If you boost 6db but the dip doesn't move, ignore it. Then set your levels accordingly. I am curious if some of those are just dips that can't be fixed and therefore you are trying to set your levels too low.

Like the two above said, doesn't matter where you put it and I usually aim for the middle of what I can fix. I am with Justin with the setting the same level for all speakers so they are level matched.

I like to also run a before eq sweep and after eq sweep to see how distortion changed from my eq. If nothing changed then I am good, if something now spiked, I revisit because something I boosted shouldn't have been.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks to everyone for the help and the thread. This is the best thread ever. I have always been tuning toward electrical crossovers and didn’t get the acoustic crossover piece. I tuned according to the actual acoustic points and it sounds incredible!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

@Hcwlsu101 - I'm envious, sounds like you are ahead of me a few steps in understanding . I am still a little fuzzy on how to proceed. The below is a screen shot of my Driver Midrange Avg (5 "moving mic" measures avg together) and overlaid my Target Curve. Is this the point that i should start playing with my XOver settings (Type and slope) to see how it effects the FR and begin to bend the FR to match the Target?
    I'm trying to achieve an Acoustical LR 24 db bandpass of 400 - 5k
    Speaker is a Focal 3" (ES 165 KX3)
    Green is the Target/Goal & Blue is my avg (1/3 Smoothing)

Name:	Mid Mtach.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	222.7 KB 
ID:	15156

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Cutaway View Post
    @Hcwlsu101 - I'm envious, sounds like you are ahead of me a few steps in understanding . I am still a little fuzzy on how to proceed. The below is a screen shot of my Driver Midrange Avg (5 "moving mic" measures avg together) and overlaid my Target Curve. Is this the point that i should start playing with my XOver settings (Type and slope) to see how it effects the FR and begin to bend the FR to match the Target?

If only there was someone local to help you Come over Saturday! Justin and I are working on a project so we can help you with that too!
    Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 01-29-2021 at 02:46 PM.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    If only there was someone local to help you Come over Saturday! Justin and I are working on a project so we can help you with that too!
    That is a very generous and kind offer that i will take advantage of!!! Nothing like getting help and learning from two super stars

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Cutaway View Post

why do you want a 3” mid playing upto 5khz would be the question?? Not ideal for playing nicely with a tweeter in terms of dispersion