Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone run REW on Raspberry Pi?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone run REW on Raspberry Pi?

Just wondered if this was possible and anyone got it to work.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone run REW on Raspberry Pi?

I haven't tried yet but it should work fine, especially if you are using a Pi 4 or newer (hello, readers from the future).

I *have* installed it on my chromebook Linux, however, and think of how much odder that is:

I enabled the Chrome Linux "beta" functionality (it's easy), which lets Linux Crouton (that Linux variant - oddity #1) run in a container (a virtual space - oddity #2) not only on my Chromebook, but in parallel with Chrome OS running - you even launch the Linux container from inside Chrome (oddity #3).

Chromebooks aren't exactly powerful, so having a cheap Acer running Chrome and Linux simultaneously alone seems like a big ask.

Installing and running REW were both unknowns - but no sweat for either.

Plugging in my USB UMM-6 mic and having the Linux container able to access the mic was a victory also.

With a Pi, you don't have to worry about most of those variables, other than the relative low-CPU power of a Pi, similar to my Chromebook.

But the Pi, you have ALL the processor, the Pi won't be running Chrome plus Linux.
    You'll have ALL the memory.
    You won't have the risk of a container or virtual space, maybe not accessing your hardware...
    It'll be straightforward. I'm positive.
    Linux on Pi, REW on Linux.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

3. Back To Top    #3

get an rpi4b or better if you can, more ram the better too. 4-8gb.

i also don't know how well rew threads, the single-core performance on the arm processor isn't great. being able to take advantage of all four cores would be beneficial.

i knew rew's java, i don't know if the linux installer has support for arm processors like in the raspberry pi. you may have to roll your own installation of jre/jdk and managing the rew jar files.

4. Back To Top    #4

I got it running on my original Model B but it’s very slow (although that was testing over VNC).

A Pi Zero W would be good but it’s specs look too low compared to a Pi 4.

Is it worth trying the 4 or just stick with a tablet for REW?

5. Back To Top    #5

running linux for anything but a server's a no-go for me. i couldn't imagine a worse way to spend my time than making a linux desktop work, combined with the complexity of an arm SBC.

(i say this as someone who manages thousands of linux systems daily)

6. Back To Top    #6

Just do it and see.
    It's WAY easier to install that on a Pi than on my Chromebook's walled-in off-brand Linux, and that wasn't that tough.

If it works on my cheap chromebook it'll work on a PI.

I was thinking of doing this for an in-car REW myself on one of my Pi, but I really would prefer the laptop for tuning rather than a 7" touchscreen.

That being said - if I ever get back to my Pi-based car cam DVR security project, why not throw REW on it and hide a mic pointing out of the headrest?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    Just do it and see.
    It's WAY easier to install that on a Pi than on my Chromebook's walled-in off-brand Linux, and that wasn't that tough.

If it works on my cheap chromebook it'll work on a PI.

I was thinking of doing this for an in-car REW myself on one of my Pi, but I really would prefer the laptop for tuning rather than a 7" touchscreen.

That being said - if I ever get back to my Pi-based car cam DVR security project, why not throw REW on it and hide a mic pointing out of the headrest?
    I was hoping to leave the Pi in place and just connect the mic and SSH or VNC into the Pi from my iDevice to see what’s going on. Then review the output files in my lounge.

Will try it out on the Pi I have (the original version) but was going to get a Pi Zero anyway so no harm in testing it on there as well.

8. Back To Top    #8

That old school Pi, and the zero aren't as powerful - but give it a shot, why not?
    Worst case - it doesn't and it's a good excuse to pick up a Pi 4

I have one with 4GB that's in a tiny case with a 4" touch screen that I SSH into for config - it's operating my whole Home Assistant home automaton server in a container - AND operating as a client that uses the server to display an always-available control panel on my coffee table next to the sofa - and when I SSH into it as a third client to play around its still fast and smooth and responsive.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210505_103006.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	15694
    So I suspect you'll be fine with a Pi 4...
    Kinda thinking an OG Pi might struggle - but why not try?
    Last edited by geolemon; 05-05-2021 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Added pic

9. Back To Top    #9

That looks a great Pi control centre

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks!
    That's why I think it could handle it.
    It does all this no sweat:

Name:	20210506_184304.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	15698

Name:	20210506_184332_HDR.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	15699

Name:	20210506_184350_HDR.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	15700

Name:	20210506_184401.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	15701

Name:	20210506_184414_HDR.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	15702
    I made these menus myself and it's not really doing all that much, but it's managing all the smart home devices and is both server and client (can pull the same interface up on our phones), zero lag or struggle.

Name:	Screenshot_20210506-185230.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	15703

Name:	Screenshot_20210506-185241.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	15704

Name:	Screenshot_20210506-185317.jpg