Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apple Camera Kit 'accessory not supported'

1. Back To Top    #1

Apple Camera Kit 'accessory not supported'

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but I did a quick search and couldnt find an answer.

I'm using an Apple Lightning USB3 Camera Connection Kit on an iPad Mini 4 (iOS 14.2) to connect via USB to a Helix DSP.

It brings up a message saying 'accessory is not supported'. After dismissing the message it plays music okay, but the charger, which is connected to the lighting input on the adaptor, doesn't charge the iPad.

Is this a known problem? Is there a simple fix?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chilly; 01-14-2021 at 03:26 PM.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Apple Camera Kit 'accessory not supported'

it's a benign message. it shouldn't impact playback through the usb-hec. if you've got a charger attached to your camera kit adapter, you should get charging as well.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
    it's a benign message. it shouldn't impact playback through the usb-hec. if you've got a charger attached to your camera kit adapter, you should get charging as well.
    It plays fine, but it only charges when the message is on screen. As soon as you dismiss the message the charging stops.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    It plays fine, but it only charges when the message is on screen. As soon as you dismiss the message the charging stops.

do you have an extension on the cck3? When I built my dash for the corsa I found that my phone was fine on the end of the extension to the cck3 (I’d run it for circa a year like that...), the iPad refused to charge on the end of the extension, however if I put the cck3 direct to the iPad it then charged and functioned as it should, I put it down to longer runs and some voltage drop over the meter extension I used to run from the base of the centre console to the iPad location

More likely however it could also be the fact that Apple implemented authorised driver signing a few years back, Apple basically used to allow all devices to just work, I presume they had a spate of failures due to dodgy cheap products being connected, and decided to implement a system of approved usb device drivers that would function well with the cck3 (it was implemented in a update for the cck3 that normally pops up when you first connect the cck3 to your Apple device while connected... prior to the update the device would work fine with the hec) , unfortunately this is also evidenced by aftermarket camera kits being connected and working and charging with the hec, however they have other issues along the way...

there is several big threads kicking about on here with various posters all saying the same, then I saw an article about driver signing and the update

as a work around can you not use a wireless charging solution and the cck3/usb hec also?
    Last edited by dumdum; 01-15-2021 at 02:08 AM.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    do you have an extension on the cck3? When I built my dash for the corsa I found that my phone was fine on the end of the extension to the cck3 (I’d run it for circa a year like that...), the iPad refused to charge on the end of the extension, however if I put the cck3 direct to the iPad it then charged and functioned as it should, I put it down to longer runs and some voltage drop over the meter extension I used to run from the base of the centre console to the iPad location

More likely however it could also be the fact that Apple implemented authorised driver signing a few years back, Apple basically used to allow all devices to just work, I presume they had a spate of failures due to dodgy cheap products being connected, and decided to implement a system of approved usb device drivers that would function well with the cck3 (it was implemented in a update for the cck3 that normally pops up when you first connect the cck3 to your Apple device while connected... prior to the update the device would work fine with the hec) , unfortunately this is also evidenced by aftermarket camera kits being connected and working and charging with the hec, however they have other issues along the way...
    The short tail on the CCK3 is plugged straight into the iPad and I'm using the original Apple Lightning cable plugged into an Anker 24w cigarette lighter charger. I've also tried a couple of other chargers.

The USB A -> USB Mini cable to the DSP is only 1.8m long. It's a good quality USB-2 cable. Does that need to be anything specific?

6. Back To Top    #6

The short tail on the CCK3 is plugged straight into the iPad and I'm using the original Apple Lightning cable plugged into an Anker 24w cigarette lighter charger. I've also tried a couple of other chargers.

The USB A -> USB Mini cable to the DSP is only 1.8m long. It's a good quality USB-2 cable. Does that need to be anything specific?

Nope that is as good a solution as you can get, it will be the driver signing issue then, no work around, helix say they don’t have an issue, Apple say helix isn’t compatible, the end sadly

its why I and lots of others use a topping d10s which is fine, allows charging and works in the exact same way as the hec, it’s also cheaper and has better sq than a hec to my ears and those of lots of others who have tested the device... optical seems to sound better than coax, although I must admit I haven’t used coax in my current system which would be way more revealing than systems of old as I use a dsp.3 which only gives me the option of opt. I used to run an ultra which had the facility to swap between the 4 inputs, analogue, usb hec, coax, optical from an android tablet when I was trying to find a cheaper source than my current iPad mini...

7. Back To Top    #7

Great info there thanks! I've been contemplating the Topping for a while. I've just bitten the bullet and ordered one. Will that take it's power via the CCK3?

8. Back To Top    #8

Great info there thanks! I've been contemplating the Topping for a while. I've just bitten the bullet and ordered one. Will that take it's power via the CCK3?

Yes, but you can also modify the lead so it gets its own 5v power source if you wish... did you get the d10s? It doesn’t really sound any different to my ears, but I couldn’t back to back it like I could the hec vs opt vs analogue vs coax... and we all know what hearing memory retention is...

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    Yes, but you can also modify the lead so it gets its own 5v power source if you wish... did you get the d10s? It doesn’t really sound any different to my ears, but I couldn’t back to back it like I could the hec vs opt vs analogue vs coax... and we all know what hearing memory retention is...
    Yes, got the D10S. Are you saying yes it will power from the CCK? Looking forward to hearing it now

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, got the D10S. Are you saying yes it will power from the CCK? Looking forward to hearing it now

Yes it should, I worked out about the extra power supply when I acquired a faulty cck3... rather than returning it I was curious what wouldn’t let the topping work so I split the usb lead from cck3 to the topping and found the 5v supply line, cut it and then split a 5v usb charger apart and used that hardwired to supply the topping 5v direct, worked a treat, I have a 3.1a charger for the cck3 and the same for the topping as a dedicated supply