Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Apple Camera Kit 'accessory not supported'

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: Apple Camera Kit 'accessory not supported'

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
    it's probably powering the dac as well. you may just want to power down the ipad when you're going to be away from your car longer.

my iphone wasn't enough to power the dac on its own, so when the cigarette lighter got powered down by the ignition-off, the d10 powered down as well.
    its not that the iPhone isn’t enough to power the topping, I believe the cck3 is designed like that so it doesn’t discharge the idevice battery into the phone, but my little power work around solves that as the topping has its own power supply from a remote switched relay that essentially feeds the topping a dedicated supply, it was only a bit of doctoring of a usb supply cable to sort it

2. Back To Top    #22

I think the battery drain is due to the ipad running the topping off it's battery when the ignition is off. Easy enough to check... leave the ipad connected as you did, turn off ignition and see if the topping is still powered. Bet it is! My iphone will power my topping but you can see it's down on voltage because it lights dimly and it will definitely run the battery down.

3. Back To Top    #23

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I think the battery drain is due to the ipad running the topping off it's battery when the ignition is off. Easy enough to check... leave the ipad connected as you did, turn off ignition and see if the topping is still powered. Bet it is! My iphone will power my topping but you can see it's down on voltage because it lights dimly and it will definitely run the battery down.
    Are you using an official Apple usb 3 camera connection kit? Or aftermarket, the genuine article should power off the accessory until the charging is switched on as far as I know, android doesn’t and will run external devices and flatten batterys, it’s easy enough to work around, I’ve done it a few times on various cars

4. Back To Top    #24

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    Are you using an official Apple usb 3 camera connection kit? Or aftermarket, the genuine article should power off the accessory until the charging is switched on as far as I know, android doesn’t and will run external devices and flatten batterys, it’s easy enough to work around, I’ve done it a few times on various cars
    I stand corrected dumdum and yes are right. It is an official cck3 kit but it does not work as I previously said. I just went and checked and no the iphone on it's own will not power the topping. Sorry for the wrong info.

5. Back To Top    #25

I was in the same boat as many on here, I'm using the Genuine Apple CCK3 out the iPad Mini 4 and couldn't understand why it never would not charge if using it with the HEC-USB. So I gave up and went with DumDum recommendation of the using the Topping D10s via Genuine Apple CCK3 adapter to my Helix DSP Pro MK2 (via Coaxial as I already have the cable in the car) from the Genuine Apple CCK3 adapter.

As most have found on here on here we can agree the D10s via Digital out sounds a lot better the HEC-USB. I couldn't believe how it would but it does, the HEC-USB in comparison to the D10s sounds so flat, muddy and similar to cheap bluetooth audio streaming.

6. Back To Top    #26

one of my buddies just got a usb-hec and ran into the same challenges.

he replugged them a few times (usb-hec into ck3, power into ck3) and it eventually worked and worked consistently.

the ck3 also has a firmware update, make sure it's updated.

however, you have a d10s as a workaround/solution so

7. Back To Top    #27

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
    one of my buddies just got a usb-hec and ran into the same challenges.

he replugged them a few times (usb-hec into ck3, power into ck3) and it eventually worked and worked consistently.

the ck3 also has a firmware update, make sure it's updated.

however, you have a d10s as a workaround/solution so
    The problem is it won't charge consistently. I have managed to get the charging to work 1/10 times by doing what you said keep plugging/unplugging the Genuine Apple CCK3. However, the next time it won't charge. As mentioned before it really isn't worth the hassle of using the HEC-USB with iPhone/iPad due to non charging issues we're facing. The HEC-USB module costs nearly twice as much as the Topping D10s, and doesn't sound as good.

I know you can use aftermarket USB Lighthing adapters, however I don't trust most of the quality of them.