Thread: 3 Way active front stage - Speaker Placement/Location

1. Back To Top    #1

3 Way active front stage - Speaker Placement/Location

Looking for suggestions on speaker placement for 3 way active setup front stage. I attached pictures of the doors, my proposed setup is to install everything in the doors. Nearly impossible to install the midbass in the kick panels as they are made for really shallow 5-1/4" speakers. The stock tweeter pods are in the door sail areas (off axis driver side, less so on the passenger side), so I was thinking of installing everything in the doors. I can't get the midbass any lower than what is shown, because the window motor is located right there.

Equipment:

Subwoofer: Fi SSD 12"
    Midbass: Anarchy 704
    Midrange: Scan 10F
    Tweeter: TBD
    DSP: RF 3Sixty.3
    Head Unit: DEH-80PRS

I read that some suggest putting the midranges in the kick panels, but I feel like being so low that wouldn't be ideal. I'm not opposed to trying to fabricate something out of fiberglass to put them next to the tweeters on the dash. Cutting the dash is out of the question at this point, but you can see in the picture the little panel below the dash is fair game, as well as the glovebox (I never use it anyways). Just want to make sure I'm not going to have phasing issues, or a tuning nightmare on my hands with the arrangement I'm thinking of.

Stock Interior:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BMW1.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	15091

Proposed Layout:

Name:	BMW3.png 
Views:	236 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	15089

Proposed Layout:

Name:	BMW2.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	15090

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

Re: 3 Way active front stage - Speaker Placement/Location

Does this car have Midbass under the front seats? I know some BMW's do. Looks like it would be difficult to put them in the doors.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Stycker View Post
    Does this car have Midbass under the front seats? I know some BMW's do. Looks like it would be difficult to put them in the doors.
    No they don't. I currently have some 6.5's mounted in the doors (I cut the sheet metal and welded some angle in there to brace it, I would just have to make my hole about a 1/2" bigger and add a bigger spacer ring to accommodate the anarchy drivers. Someone else on another forum just said I would run into phasing issues with that setup, but that was the only person who said something like that.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

I did see that post about phase issues. That guy I believe is dumdum. He is way smarter than me, however, Andy the owner of Audiofrog has the same door setup as you outlined except all his speakers are located in the door. I read once where Andy said its best to have all speakers on the same plane like a coventional home speaker. If you have weilding skills the go for it. You may even be able to move the window motor if needed.