Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Convienience Vs. Sound Quality

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Convienience Vs. Sound Quality

i used to do the BT radio controls+track monitoring, etc as well with my factory radio. it worked much of the time for basic stuff (track forward/reverse, play/pause). still had to do the dsp controller for volume control.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

Well its official. I fell down the rabbit hole again. I bought an iPod touch 256GB and a Topping D10s. $500.00 for a marginal gain in sound quality. It sounds the same or slightly better than the DAP going straight to the DSP. The big advantage is safety while driving. I never have to touch the iPod. I just leave it and the Topping in the center console. I'm able to bluetooth to the factory radio for control and to see what song, artisit, and album are playing. The Topping D10s sends a digital signal to the DSP at the same time. I guess I can have my cake and eat it too. For me it was $500.00 well spent. Now if somebody can tell me how to play Amazon HD from an iPhone to a DAC. All I get is silence when I attempt to play Amazon HD to the Topping. The Apple music player app works fine.

3. Back To Top    #13

so you control the ipod with the factory radio via BT, and then the ipod plays into the topping (digitally) which then goes digital to the DSP ?

I understand the convenience improvemtn and that it sounds better than the HU but this part i'm not getting

>It sounds the same or slightly better than the DAP going straight to the DSP.

You previously had a DAP->DSP and you are saying the iPod->Topping->DSP is a slight improvement ?

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

Yes Preston, everything you said is correct. I was hoping this would work and it does. I wouldn't spend that kind of money for only a slight improvement in sound quality. The iPod>Topping>DSP sounds only slightly better than DAP>DSP. Both of these setups sound much better than Factory Headunit>DSP. Even while driving and not just parked. I tended to use the Factory Headunit>DSP due to convenience and safety. Now I can leave the iPod in the car connected to the Topping for great sound quality and convenience and safety because its also simultaneously connected to the headunit thru bluetooth. I can control the ipod with the headunit and steering wheel controls. I have given priority to the optical signal in the Helix software. When the Helix is presented with a digital signal then the radio shuts off automatically. Also gave phone calls prority over the digital signal so that when the phone rings I can answer it thu the Headunit. This has been a great upgrade.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

The sound quality upgrade of the Topping D10s is mostly in staging and imaging. Higher stage height and instruments placed further apart, but not a wider stage. Instuments have more space between them, but the width of the srage remained the same. Instruments sound more natural and authentic.

6. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Stycker View Post
    Now if somebody can tell me how to play Amazon HD from an iPhone to a DAC. All I get is silence when I attempt to play Amazon HD to the Topping. The Apple music player app works fine.
    I have basically the same set-up: iphone>cck3>topping>dsp and have the same exact issue you speak of. Apple music works fine but no output with Amazon HD. But here's what's crazy... Amazon HD will play if you open the camera! Close the camera and music is gone. I'd love to know the fix too.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

I'll have to try opening the camera app with Amazon HD. Thanks DaveG.