Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Two 12" Brahmas VS. One 15" Brahma VS. One 10" Hutchinson NDFEB

1. Back To Top    #71

Re: Two 12" Brahmas VS. One 15" Brahma VS. One 10" Hutchinson NDFEB

Quote Originally Posted by blockrocker View Post
    I've been following this thread with great anticipation. It's nice to start hearing your opinions on the results. I definitely appreciate the time and effort that went into sharing this all with us. Thank you.

I'd like to know more about what you thought. How different were the outputs? Did the tone or dynamics change between the 2-12's and the 1-15? Was there an obvious difference between the tones of the brands? Or the ported vs sealed sound? (Hutch was ported, correct?)

I fully understand that a lot of this is personal preference, but I know you have quite a bit of experience, so anything else you can share would be awesome. Obviously, sub placements, Eq etc. will play large roles too but have your opinions changed towards box styles, sub sizes, brands, driver numbers, driver materials or anything else, after your experimenting?

As always, great craftmanship and style too. Thanks for sharing with the group!
    The 15" and the 12"s have that similar SQ sound that I expected from very low distortion subs. The biggest difference between the 15" and the two 12"s is as I turned the volume up, the two 12"s just kept getting louder and better, whereas the 15" seemed to plateau early. I suspect that the rear facing config of the 15" was a negative (it's physically impossible to down fire the a 15" in my Jeep, or I would).

The 10" Hutchinson ported vs. the two 12" Brahmas is obviously where the biggest differences are... The low distortion characteristics of the Brahmas is definitely noticeable compared to the Hutchinson, AND my preference of sealed boxes over ported comes into play, too. The Brahmas blend easily with the front at higher output levels than the Hutchinson. The two 12"s have a clean, tight, and precise sound that the Hutchinson is lacking. What is surprising about the Hutchinson is that it can almost keep up with the pair of 12"s in terms of output, for a single 10" it's an absolute beast!

I hope that helps a bit...
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

2. Back To Top    #72

I always experiment with different ways to carpet, especially how to get clean joints... I got this bit and put a V grove around the box.

Last edited by DavidRam; 02-03-2021 at 11:00 AM.
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

3. Back To Top    #73

Tight fit!!!

#TRUMP2020

4. Back To Top    #74

It's good to have the two 12"s back in the Jeep, I immediately re-confirmed they are the clear winner within a couple minutes of listening! Now to break them in and get them tuned...

#TRUMP2020

5. Back To Top    #75
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

What are the specs of that box you settled on - with the 2 12's? Any idea how low they'll play? I'm really digging the down-fire too. Clean and safe. Great job sir!

6. Back To Top    #76

Quote Originally Posted by blockrocker View Post
    What are the specs of that box you settled on - with the 2 12's? Any idea how low they'll play? I'm really digging the down-fire too. Clean and safe. Great job sir!
    Thanks! Just over 1 cuft per sub... I still haven't retuned or taken any measurements, yet. But I will update this thread once I do...

#TRUMP2020

7. Back To Top    #77

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
    Thanks! Just over 1 cuft per sub... I still haven't retuned or taken any measurements, yet. But I will update this thread once I do...
    Stop building boxes and tune the damn things already!

8. Back To Top    #78
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

Quote Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
    Yeah, I've been following this as well. While I tend to prefer a single sub, and never owned any 15's...the suspense is killing me.

I'm also interested in how much difference can be attributed to the combination vs the brand and model of the sub.
    Meh, it'll play.

9. Back To Top    #79
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Quote Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
    ^^^This^^^
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

10. Back To Top    #80

KEEP building boxes AND tune the damn things already!