Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Two 12" Brahmas VS. One 15" Brahma VS. One 10" Hutchinson NDFEB

It's almost big enough to photograph my penor

2. Back To Top    #62

The two 12"s, are hands down the winner. To my taste and IMHO, it's like this:

#1 - two 12" Brahmas
    #2 - 10" Hutchinson
    #3 - 15" Brahma

AGAIN, this is BEFORE touching the tune. I'm certain the 15" would sound better after tuning (as would/will the two 12"s), but the 15" has not blown me away in any area, yet. Now two 15"s (which are impossible to fit) would be pretty insane, I'm sure!
    The other factor that might be affecting the sound more significantly than we think, is rear facing on the 15" and down firing on the 12"s and the 10". If that is the case, than rear facing is NOT helping the sub at all in this Jeep.
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

3. Back To Top    #63

I did call the Hutchinson #2 tho.

4. Back To Top    #64
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

In my Honda Element, I built a slightly wedge-shaped box, and started out with the 18 facing the rear hatch, and it sounded awful. I tried firing it up, and forward, also...the best sound I got was having it facing forward.

5. Back To Top    #65
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

I think I called it on this one. I'll have to go back and look at the tape.
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

6. Back To Top    #66
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
    The other factor that might be affecting the sound more significantly than we think, is rear facing on the 15" and down firing on the 12"s and the 10". If that is the case, than rear facing is NOT helping the sub at all in this Jeep.
    Those Jeeps almost require a downfire enclosure. A couple months ago I helped a buddy of mine put a 10w3v3 in a ported box in his Jeep powered with an old Punch 100. He had it facing backwards and told me it was rather disappointing. Then he tried forward with the same result. I told him to prop that bugger up on a couple 2x4s & face it down just to see what, if any difference, it made. I got a phone call back about 1/2hr later and he was astonished with how much better AND louder it was.

7. Back To Top    #67
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

#1 - two 12" Brahmas
    #2 - 10" Hutchinson
    #3 - 15" Brahma

AGAIN, this is BEFORE touching the tune. I'm certain the 15" would sound better after tuning (as would/will the two 12"s), but the 15" has not blown me away in any area, yet. Now two 15"s (which are impossible to fit) would be pretty insane, I'm sure!
    I think it’s the positioning of the sub. When I saw how close you had it to the rear gate I thought that might be an issue. Positioning of a subwoofer can have a drastic effect on output just because of phase.

Send that beast my way and I’ll make sure it sounds better than my two GB12.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

8. Back To Top    #68
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

#1 - two 12" Brahmas
    #2 - 10" Hutchinson
    #3 - 15" Brahma

I've been following this thread with great anticipation. It's nice to start hearing your opinions on the results. I definitely appreciate the time and effort that went into sharing this all with us. Thank you.

I'd like to know more about what you thought. How different were the outputs? Did the tone or dynamics change between the 2-12's and the 1-15? Was there an obvious difference between the tones of the brands? Or the ported vs sealed sound? (Hutch was ported, correct?)

I fully understand that a lot of this is personal preference, but I know you have quite a bit of experience, so anything else you can share would be awesome. Obviously, sub placements, Eq etc. will play large roles too but have your opinions changed towards box styles, sub sizes, brands, driver numbers, driver materials or anything else, after your experimenting?

As always, great craftmanship and style too. Thanks for sharing with the group!

9. Back To Top    #69

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    I think it’s the positioning of the sub. When I saw how close you had it to the rear gate I thought that might be an issue. Positioning of a subwoofer can have a drastic effect on output just because of phase.

Send that beast my way and I’ll make sure it sounds better than my two GB12.
    I'm sure you would!

I'm thinking simply the fact that the 15" was rear facing had a negative affect on the sound, compared to the others... The breathing room (or restriction thereof) directly in front of the sub(s), is similar between all three set ups. The down firing 12"s and 10" have the amps just below them. The 15" actually has much less restrictions around it compared to the others, the pictures do show that it's quite close directly in front of it. The down firing subs have similar space directly in front (or below) them, but much less space around them as they are wedged between the tailgate and the seat back.
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

10. Back To Top    #70

Quote Originally Posted by blockrocker View Post
    I've been following this thread with great anticipation. It's nice to start hearing your opinions on the results. I definitely appreciate the time and effort that went into sharing this all with us. Thank you.

I'd like to know more about what you thought. How different were the outputs? Did the tone or dynamics change between the 2-12's and the 1-15? Was there an obvious difference between the tones of the brands? Or the ported vs sealed sound? (Hutch was ported, correct?)

I fully understand that a lot of this is personal preference, but I know you have quite a bit of experience, so anything else you can share would be awesome. Obviously, sub placements, Eq etc. will play large roles too but have your opinions changed towards box styles, sub sizes, brands, driver numbers, driver materials or anything else, after your experimenting?

As always, great craftmanship and style too. Thanks for sharing with the group!
    Thanks a bunch! I'll reply to this post in the next day or two, it's late and my brain isn't as fresh as I'd like it to be to post some semi-intelligent stuff...

#TRUMP2020