Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Two 12" Brahmas VS. One 15" Brahma VS. One 10" Hutchinson NDFEB

1. Back To Top    #31

Re: Two 12" Brahmas VS. One 15" Brahma VS. One 10" Hutchinson NDFEB

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
    I think I have come to the conclusion that I like the sound of sealed better than ported. To me it seems tighter, cleaner, more precise, etc..
    Do you mean in general, or specifically the two sealed Brahma 12s versus the ported Hutchinson 10 in your current vehicle?

While ported can be a lot harder to get right, both sealed and ported alignments can sound amazing or awful, depending on all manner of driver, cabinet and cabin/room variables.

2. Back To Top    #32

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Do you mean in general, or specifically the two sealed Brahma 12s versus the ported Hutchinson 10 in your current vehicle?

While ported can be a lot harder to get right, both sealed and ported alignments can sound amazing or awful, depending on all manner of driver, cabinet and cabin/room variables.
    Well, definitely the two 12" Brahmas over the Hutchinson, but also generally speaking. I have had quite a few sealed and two ported. I like the characteristics of sealed, so to get the output of a ported, I need big, beefy subs and lots of power.

I can only imagine what two 15"s would be like!!!
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

3. Back To Top    #33
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

You are a master box builder. I too prefer sealed over ported. I think I'm a little jealous right now. I'm only able to get 1.5 cu ft total under my floor and still be stealth. Right now I have Zero rattles. I'm sure that would not be the case with those suckers.

4. Back To Top    #34

Quote Originally Posted by Stycker View Post
    You are a master box builder. I too prefer sealed over ported. I think I'm a little jealous right now. I'm only able to get 1.5 cu ft total under my floor and still be stealth. Right now I have Zero rattles. I'm sure that would not be the case with those suckers.

Thanks a lot! These are definitely some fun sounding subs! They have a very interesting sound, I'm trying to figure out how to describe it...

After a little more SQ and bass heavy listening this morning, I am still convinced that in all genres the two 12s sound better than the Hutchinson. BUT I found one exception... This song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po5zT1krKOc is one of my bass demo songs. At full tilt the Hutchinson gives you a more fun and intense SPL experience. The Brahmas sound a little restricted, if that makes sense, whereas the Hutchinson goes nuts. Of course I haven't touched the tune yet, so it's not really a fair comparison yet.
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

5. Back To Top    #35

wow that NF/artist sounds really mad. Bottomed out the 1/2 inch subwoofer on my laptop too!

6. Back To Top    #36

Quote Originally Posted by diy.phil View Post
    wow that NF/artist sounds really mad. Bottomed out the 1/2 inch subwoofer on my laptop too!
    THAT is the song that drops jaws when I demo the Jeep!

#TRUMP2020

7. Back To Top    #37

THAT is the song that drops jaws when I demo the Jeep!
    Thanks! Awhile back I hooked up my '90s Paradigm PS-1200 4th order of my bedroom system via miniDSP, and spent some time dialing it in, but haven't really used much since...

It's not really my cup of tea, but DAMN if that song didn't get some air moving and rattling everything! Gotta hear that through the pair of sealed Dayton HF 15s of my living room system later.

8. Back To Top    #38

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Thanks! Awhile back I hooked up my '90s Paradigm PS-1200 4th order of my bedroom system via miniDSP, and spent some time dialing it in, but haven't really used much since...

It's not really my cup of tea, but DAMN if that song didn't get some air moving and rattling everything! Gotta hear that through the pair of sealed Dayton HF 15s of my living room system later.
    On two 15s it will be really fun! Lmk, what you think. It's not my cup of tea either, but an impressive demo... I have used these songs numerous times on a number of different subs, and I know them so well that I can pick up the slightest differences.
    Also, this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxFKhmHSvbg the kick drum on this song is the one that sounds much better on the Brahmas than on the Hutchinson. It will literally recalibrate your heart beat at a certain level!
    That is another bass demo/reference song of mine.

#TRUMP2020

9. Back To Top    #39

On two 15s it will be really fun! Lmk, what you think. It's not my cup of tea either, but an impressive demo... I have used these songs numerous times on a number of different subs, and I know them so well that I can pick up the slightest differences.
    Also, this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxFKhmHSvbg the kick drum on this song is the one that sounds much better on the Brahmas than on the Hutchinson. It will literally recalibrate your heart beat at a certain level!
    That is another bass demo/reference song of mine.
    Meh...

These HF 15s would be soooooo much more fun in my car. While I do like them a lot, even in the far less than ideal largish room they're in, I'm 100% convinced that I'd like them a whole lot more if they were vented. WinISD modeling results suggest 9.5 ft^3/ea., tuned at 18 Hz, for flat response down to 23 Hz, and an F3 of 17 Hz - versus their present 3.0 ft^3/ea. sealed F3 of 34 Hz.

And, of course, those two 15s struggle to keep up with 3-way horn satellites. This would be less of an issue if they were vented. I wouldn't have to cut the gain quite so much on the horns, and I wouldn't have to PEQ the heck out of the 15s.
    Last edited by Grinder; 01-14-2021 at 10:37 PM.

10. Back To Top    #40

Speaking of kick drum, here's one of my favorite demo tracks. I always skip the first part and begin around 2:37. There's so much great stuff in the remainder of this track, but what I like most is drums from 3:33 to 4:23.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpMoYTTO1k8