Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sub level and how it effects phase alignment and crossovers

1. Back To Top    #31

Re: Sub level and how it effects phase alignment and crossovers

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Fair enough. You can. It might mess with things though if using a factory HU compared to just cutting -6 depending on factory EQ stuff.
    I guess they both accomplish the same goal, I just prefer the single button method, that I just figured out 2 days ago. I found that when using the volume (sub level) control in my MiniDSP, the display in the software doesn't always update correctly, so I have to type in the correct levels, then muting as needed to avoid doing that again. Just recent experience still fresh on my mind.

2. Back To Top    #32

Haha, I’ve just been called out by an “internet expert” on the other forum who said what I did in the first post isn’t possible...

sometimes I just have to laugh otherwise people would drive me mad...
    Last edited by dumdum; 01-09-2021 at 06:10 PM.

3. Back To Top    #33
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    For timing and phase aligning drivers I only want one mic... and for response/eq purposes I don’t use a static mic anyway so multiple mics aren’t required

I just ordered a nice shiny new isemcon emx-7150
    How did you make this decision? There are a lot of products on the market.

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

4. Back To Top    #34
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Ya, I am thinking a dayton mic to start out (maybe calibrated from cross spectrum if they are actually in stock as it shows out of stock right now) and either the focusrite 4i4 or the motu m4, leaning towards the motu m4 but they are out of stock everywhere. So might fall back on the focusrite. The motu measures (not that it is audible) better than the focusrite and I like the look better.
    Why do you need an M4? A Motu M2 will do the trick.

5. Back To Top    #35
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

From my understanding of Smaart, if I ever expand to two (or three) microphones, I would need 3 inputs (two microphone and one loopback) and the m2 only has 2 inputs so would only be able to be used with one microphone and then the loopback.

The price difference isn't much either so that was my other reason.

For car purposes I would probably only ever need 1, but my wife also teaches high school theatre and has her own youth theatre company where the more microphones would be fun to play with in the bigger space.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

6. Back To Top    #36
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

From my understanding of Smaart, if I ever expand to two (or three) microphones, I would need 3 inputs (two microphone and one loopback) and the m2 only has 2 inputs so would only be able to be used with one microphone and then the loopback.

The price difference isn't much either so that was my other reason.

For car purposes I would probably only ever need 1, but my wife also teaches high school theatre and has her own youth theatre company where the more microphones would be fun to play with in the bigger space.
    OK. Gotcha. You have a good point. BTW, I love my little Motu. It sounds good and has a nifty LED level meter in front

Ge0

7. Back To Top    #37

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post

sometimes I just have to laugh otherwise people would drive me mad...
    Be careful mate.

This...

In the second account, he was watching a donkey eat some
    figs and cried out: "Now give the donkey a drink of pure wine to wash down the figs", whereupon he died in a fit of laughter

.. is from here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysippus

8. Back To Top    #38

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    How did you make this decision? There are a lot of products on the market.

Ge0
    the smaart users group had a post about measurement mics and the isemcon was declared by lots of people as king of sub 300 dollar mics, I wanted a small capsule (1/4” tip) mic which gives better off axis results, it can have more distortion at higher volumes but that’s a trade I am happy to make

9. Back To Top    #39

YMMV with this, I haven't had great luck using this and setting the delays suggested, the center image is always off when I do.....I am sure it is user error.

Attachment 15062

Edit* just played around with this, it gave me the same time alignment of ~2.20s for EVERY driver except sub at 0...This would not give me a center image....
    Looking at the image, it says "measurements do not have a timing reference". Would you not need a loopback with a timing reference to make sure you have absolute relative phase between the two drivers measurements? Then, the time shift method might work with good results?

10. Back To Top    #40
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

I had an acoustic timing reference setup in the preferences and the measurement window. I am not sure why it was still saying that. I may have just choose measurements for this picture that didn't have that set up. It has been too long now and I use Open Sound Meter (free) or Smaart ($600) now for phase. MUCH MUCH easier!

https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...se-ETC-Program
    Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 02-11-2021 at 10:29 AM.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods