Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carpet alternative wanted

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Carpet alternative wanted

I use the free blue tarps or black cloth/blankets from the harbor freight store with coupons. Those come in real handy when I have some cargo. But in the last 8 months they don't seem to be giving away anything much anymore.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post

My annoyance is that splinters and other particles get stuck in the carpet and don't vacuum out, and that's not really a presentable condition in general, much less a cover for any high end system.

Any suggestions for an alternative upholstery?
    Have you heard of these pet hair detailing brushes? They are designed to fix your problem that you can't vacuum up hair and splinters because they are stuck in the fibers.
    Seems like for $15 it's worth a shot. I don't have one yet but the Autodetailing subreddit swears by them and they have lots of before/after using them on carpet to clean up pet hair.

https://www.amazon.com/ANALAN-Remove...an+mini&sr=8-3

if you order one click through Al's amazon link to pay it forward.

Edit. Updated my link to be Al’s affiliate link.
    Last edited by Notloudenuf; 01-05-2021 at 10:33 AM.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

3. Back To Top    #13

Yeah, I think we're headed in the right direction here...

I can just stick with carpet for the hatch install, then make something I can cover it with for the mulch run or any time I need to get lumber.

Maybe I can sew up my own hatch liner, complete with sides and the rear seat back for the fold-down like the expensive liner...
    ...and I could make it out of that old school clear plastic from grandma's sofa??
    I bet JoAnne Fabrics carries it...

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    They make rubber mats for truck beds that could easily be trimmed to fit, toss it in for your home improvement runs and remove it when you're done.

4. Back To Top    #14

I put this gear on a truck floor.

https://www.onlinegymshop.com/images...ts-16-x-3.jpeg

Over 1/4" neoprene.

5. Back To Top    #15

On the pet hair brush - I think I actually own something at least similar enough to see if that's feasible. I'll buy one from your link if it does.

And Holmz, I like the idea of a soft padding under one of these things that I'm thinking might be otherwise too slippery. If it's a removable thing, the slipperiness isn't as much of a concern - but still a great idea since it would let things potentially squish down a bit and that would prevent movement.

I had even thought of neoprene (Honda Element seats were upholstered with a variant) as a straight-up carpet replacement, but worried it might cut or tear under a heavier load, like if I were moving a gas grille or snowblower.
    As an underlayer though... I like the engineering.

6. Back To Top    #16

On the pet hair brush - I think I actually own something at least similar enough to see if that's feasible. I'll buy one from your link if it does.

And Holmz, I like the idea of a soft padding under one of these things that I'm thinking might be otherwise too slippery. If it's a removable thing, the slipperiness isn't as much of a concern - but still a great idea since it would let things potentially squish down a bit and that would prevent movement.

I had even thought of neoprene (Honda Element seats were upholstered with a variant) as a straight-up carpet replacement, but worried it might cut or tear under a heavier load, like if I were moving a gas grille or snowblower.
    As an underlayer though... I like the engineering.

Basically the truck floor had rotted rubber.
    On boats and stairways they use this tactile flooring.
    And then the neoprene was an attempt at some heat and sound insulation.

It is a bit industrial, but it is durable, non slip and also easy to clean the mud off of.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Maybe you could use this? It's easily cleanable, and is made spesifically to stop things sliding around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtvYQDwVvTg

8. Back To Top    #18

Wow! That definitely has some possibility.

Personally I'm a 90s teen, so "wrap vinyl on everything" is my default But like I mentioned before, high-abrasion risk makes me nervous, on top of the slip factor - but I'm still going to mentally note this unique vinyl for other installs.

And there's cloth versions! I'm going to have to check that out.

But this also has me wondering about the possibility of 1) upholstering it in one of these grippy and easy-to-vacuum options
    then
    2) sewing up my own plush trunk liner (I'm thinking "out of unbacked plush auto carpet") to use for any cargo/mess/etc hauling duty.

This grippy upholstery could partner up well with carpet, so the carpet doesn't in turn slide and damage the upholstery.

Thanks - definitely has me thinking.