Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carpet alternative wanted

1. Back To Top    #1

Carpet alternative wanted

I'm hoping to replace the carpet that's currently on the hatch floor and up my fold-down rear seat back. I'm building a hidden rack below the floor in the limited space surrounding the rear tire, so I'll be building a new hatch floor and would like to do it when I build that.

It's not as though it's worn or torn (car is 2017). The issue is - well, this was a lease but I liked it so much I bought it at the end.
    Part of the reason is the utility. I load it up with everything from lumber to bags of mulch (takes 40 to do this house) to camping gear.

My annoyance is that splinters and other particles get stuck in the carpet and don't vacuum out, and that's not really a presentable condition in general, much less a cover for any high end system.

Any suggestions for an alternative upholstery?

It is an impossible requirement, I know - a truck-bed durable substance that isn't hard or slippery (like those rubber/plastic trunk trays), that is attractive, and doesn't act like Velcro for splinters...
    But figured I'd ask.
    At least collect and check out any interesting suggestions. Do you have one?

Black is the color, so you probably know how bad it looks when not perfectly clean.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Re: Carpet alternative wanted

That's a tough one, no doubt. Perhaps some marine vinyl? It comes in a huge variety of colors and textures, is waterproof and fairly tough. Although not truck-bed tough.
    You could also try a countertop refinishing kit or some deck/driveway roll-on rock type finish? I know they have a variety of textures, colors and may not be too slippery. Fabric that doesn't collect splinters and is super tough and not ugly is definitely a bit of a unicorn. Lol.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Perhaps you could make a two sided false floor. 1 side carpeted and clean and the other side used for the lumber yard days?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

In my old car with fold-down seats I kept a moving blanket folded up in the trunk. I had cut the blanket down to cover the floor and sides perfectly, sewed up the edges, and sewed some velcro hook patches on the back, which grabbed the factory carpet and kept it in place. Another idea would be to put down a piece of stall mat, which you can find at Tractor Supply. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...?cm_vc=-10005#

5. Back To Top    #5

Good ideas - I think all too slippery though, especially for a car that's actually fun to drive.

I think worst case, I may deep clean it all and then make a sort of hatch liner I can install when I'm doing dirty stuff.

They actually sell something like that for this car but It's ludicrous - over $100. I'm sure I can buy some fabric and it wouldn't be hard to make my own pattern for way less than that. That would save me on needing to redo the rear seat upholstery, too.

But figured i'd see if anyone had any ideas.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

What about just a removable second layer of carpet? Cut it to shape, bind the edges (optional), and only put it in when moving junk.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a WeatherTech mat for my wagon, it works great but yeah they're pretty expensive for what they are (mine also doesn't cover the seat-backs). Maybe you can cut-up a rubber floor mat? Rubber is easy to clean and isn't too "slidey". https://www.homedepot.ca/product/tra...mat/1001002833 Edit: Oops, this is pretty similar to what BigAl already suggested, but it's thinner and more flexible.
    '18 VW Golf Sportwagen 4motion 6MT. Hiby RS6 to Helix DSP.3 (Balanced Analog). Amps: Biketronics BT4210 (210 x 4 mids/tweets), Biketronics BT3725 (250 x 2 midbasses, 700 x 1 sub). Mids: Satori MW13P-4 5" (Factory Door Locations). Tweets: Bliesma T25S-6 Silk-Dome 1" (Modded Factory A-Pillar Locations). Midbasses: Dayton Designer DSA175-8 6.5" in Ported Underseat Enclosures. Subs: 2 x Scanspeak Discovery 10" in Underfloor Sealed Enclosure.

8. Back To Top    #8

Rubber gym mats cut to shape make good boot liners and if it’s a removable floor you can lay it over it and cut round it

9. Back To Top    #9

Yeah, I think we're headed in the right direction here...

I can just stick with carpet for the hatch install, then make something I can cover it with for the mulch run or any time I need to get lumber.

Maybe I can sew up my own hatch liner, complete with sides and the rear seat back for the fold-down like the expensive liner...
    ...and I could make it out of that old school clear plastic from grandma's sofa??
    I bet JoAnne Fabrics carries it...

10. Back To Top    #10

Canvas. They sell it at Jo-Ann Fabrics and the like.