Thread: Laser cutting question/ Cad file help

1. Back To Top    #1

Laser cutting question/ Cad file help

Hey so i have a design that i've made in Librecad. The overall design is 32x32in and i haven't been able to find anywhere online that can cut that big of a piece. Thats really not that big of a deal because the design can easily be made from smaller pieces and glued together. However, I have no idea how to divide an CAD file into smaller pieces. So far Ponoko(laser cutting service online) can cut a 31x15in piece. Anyone know how to do this easily or know somewhere that can cut that big of a piece?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Re: Laser cutting question/ Cad file help

If you're working with a 2d drawing, try adding a line (call it a parting line) where you want to slice the part in half. Then delete the lines on one half of that parting line so that only half the part remains. Save that as "part a". Repeat the process but delete the lines on the other half of the parting line and save the resulting drawing as "part b".

That should give you two smaller parts that are the same as one larger part.

To get it to fit into the 31"x15" size that Ponoko can create, you might need to create three smaller parts instead of two.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.