Thread: Tweeters, need to replace old school MB Quarts

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    Nissan N16

Tweeters, need to replace old school MB Quarts

I've been running a pair of MB Quart RTC-19s for the past 5 years, and have been more than happy with them. They were run from 2 channels of an Audison LRX5.600 in a poor man's active 2-way setup, utilising the amp's integral crossover.

Turns out 1 of the tweeters has now failed, so I need to find a new pair. The Quarts were, I believe, titanium, and they had a sonic 'signature' I was happy with. Seems titanium is not so common nowadays, plus the Quarts have been obsolete for nearly 2 decades, so ideally I would like to find a similar replacement.

I appreciate that opinions are subjective, but:

if anyone has experience with the old school MB Q's and can advise/offer any recommendations for a suitable replacement, I would be most grateful

Or

What are known to be good, solid tweeters nowadays?

Budget: £50-100/$70-130

Caveat : Ideally would like to purchase from a UK/EU retailer, to a avoid any unnecessary complications.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tweeters, need to replace old school MB Quarts

How big do you need? Small format? What size roughly are the quarts on the outside or are you going to rebuild? I ask as im in notts area and have some brand new sb acoustics rdnc which are 72mm diameter that haven’t been used and are brand new in their boxes, I also have a set of ground zero nuclear 22mm tweeters that are brand new unused also, just bought to try in a hole they didn’t fit in drop me a pm if interested

3. Back To Top    #3

These would match the quarts in sound.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...e-car-tweeter/
    2018 Crosstrek Helix P-Six DSP Mk2 AF GB15 AF GB25 AF GS690 Audiomobile Evo 8(2) PPI Art Series A600.2

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    Nissan N16

Thank you for the replies,

Upon further investigation, it seems the Audison LRX internal crossover has a fault, and was passing much lower than the the set point on the right channel, so I suspect this is what caused the problem. Some vigorous sweeping of the x-over pot. has got rid of the issue, but I'm not willing to put another good set of tweeters on just yet. Found a pair of old Alpine tweeters that came with some Type R components, circa 2007, they are currently replacing the Quarts until I replace my amp or add a separate x-over, or drag this sorry install up to date with a DSP

Dumdum, thank you for your input. The SB Acoustics would be ideal, as it looks as though they can be crossed quite low, which would certainly help in my 2 way front stage. Once I've got the amp and/or processing sorted, I'll give you a shout to see if you still have them. I've got A pillar builds currently, could quite easily rebuild them to accept the SBs.

miniSQ, thank you for the recommendation, those tweets seem to have great reviews! Alas, they appear to be unavailable from any UK or EU suppliers, which is all too common when looking for speakers that get good reviews.