Thread: Helix DSP with Mono Amp

1. Back To Top    #1

Helix DSP with Mono Amp

Question about connecting a Genesis Mono Sub Amp that has both L&R RCA Inputs, to a Helix DSP.

Should I connect a single RCA to just one of the amp's inputs, then sum the L&R channels 50/50 in the Helix I/O software?

Or do I need a Y Splitter?

Or do I connect both RCAs to the Helix? If so how should they be assigned in software?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Helix DSP with Mono Amp

how much input voltage does your amp need to produce maximum power? how much output voltage does your dsp make?

likely, you'll be fine with a single dsp channel to a single amp input channel.

i'd avoid hooking up a y-adapter to your dsp output. if you need more voltage, use both of your dsp's output channels to your sub amp (and do the mixer/output garbage)

if you need more output, add another sub+amp

3. Back To Top    #3

I use a splitter rca from the helix sub output and sum left and right into the sub output, and just use the level of a single rca to adjust the sub level, you can of course use two rca leads and run two and just link the channels in the helix... but if you ever adjust a single rca and forget to link them you can use a whole world of issues

i also have a use for the 8th output so it’s a good job I do this

voltage through a splitter isn’t an issue as it doesn’t drop or lose anything, the v.low current just doubles

4. Back To Top    #4

Both the Helix folks (@dobslob) and JL Audio (I have JL amps) actually *recommend* using a y-splitter between the Helix output and the sub amp inputs vs. using a single RCA output/input. That is how I've always done it.